I Went for Liposuction in the Abdomen but the Surgeon Also Strongly Recommend Liposuction in my Breast, Can You Do This? (photo)

I went for liposuction in the entire abdomen including my flanks but the doctor strongly recommend liposuction in my chest to go with the stomach(abdomen). He said he would do it under a spinal block and sedative. I am scared. Doctors....will I have a scar in my chest,loose skin in the abdomen, what is the difference between spinal block +sedative and general anesthesia, can he do my chest and abdomen together?

Abdominal liposuction only addresses the fat above the muscle

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  From your photos alone you appear to have a moderate amount of fat located inside your abdomen (deep to the muscles).  Liposuction can only address the fat that is under the skin and not deep to the muscles.  You may want to discuss this point with your plastic surgeon as you may not be able to get the contour that you want without loosing some weight first.  Sedation and tumescent anesthesia works great for liposuction.  The spinal is almost not needed or general anesthsia can be used.

Dr. Remus Repta

Chest Liposuction for Men is Okay

+1

Thank you for your pictures.  You appear to be a reasonable candidate for liposuction of your abdomen, flanks and chest. This will greatly your body. I would not recommended  a spinal and sedation!!  Typically done by board-certified plastic surgeon use general anesthesia for a procedure like you are considering .

Best Wishes 

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

I Went for Liposuction in the Abdomen but the Surgeon Also Strongly Recommend Liposuction in my Breast, Can You Do This?

+1

You should pick which areas you want addressed.  Localized fatty deposition can be improved with liposuction, and your shape can be dramatically improved with minimal scarring with the right surgeon.  Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Many men elect to have their breasts treated with liposuction along with their midsection.

+1

First, the type of anesthesia is not ideal.  You would be better treated under a total IV anesthetic.  Yes, you have gynecomastia.  Many men choose to have the breast areas treated with liposuction at the same time as their abdomen and flanks, and the extra cost is less if you do it at the same time.  Liposuction will reduce your breast size but it won't be a dramatic change.  It's icing on the cake so to speak.  On the other hand, if you have no concerns about breast fullness, don't do it.  Be sure you go to an experienced plastic surgeon.  Also, you should see a number of examples of you surgeon's work in the form of before and after photos.  Be sure you are having the surgery at an accredited or licensed surgery center.  I've attached a link to my website in case you wish to read more.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

You need to get more condultation

+1

You are not ready for surgery and should get more consultations. You have large amount of exess fat and will not do well with spinal anesthesia. The issue of the doing the chest liposuction is ok. If you get liposuction of the abdomen and waist, you chest will look more out proportion. You can do the chest area later if not bordering you now. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction alone cannot correct severe gynecomastia.

+1

Hi.

1)  It is improper for a surgeon to suggest cosmetic surgery.  If your chest does not bother you, leave it alone.

2)  If your chest does bother you, you need removal of breast tissue as well as liposuction. Scar is not usually a problem.

3)  You look like you should do well with liposuction of abdomen.

4)  Epidural anesthesia fine for abdomen but not for chest.  General anesthesia with board certified anesthesiologist is very safe.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Spinal fo Liposuction

+1

Beware of spinal for liposuction.  There is amore bleeding and I have seen problems.  General is best.  Do your abdomen and forget your breasts.  See another surgeon.  You should do what you want not the surgeon.  My best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon