I Recently Had Chin Augmentation/liposuction and Still Have a Gummy Smile, What Can I Expect? (photo)

I underwent chin augmentation, chin lipo, and rhinoplasty on 8/20/2013. I did not like my profile before, and feel that there has not been much change. Additionally, my smile has just gotten worse. It is even more gummy than before. When I was younger I went through a majority of orthodontic treatments available (herbst appliance and a palate expander). This was suppose to eliminate the need for jaw surgery. Can I expect my swelling to go down still, and are there other options to fix my smile.

I Recently Had Chin Augmentation/liposuction and Still Have a Gummy Smile, What Can I Expect?

+1

A gummy smile will not be improved by the procedures you listed. Yes, there are other procedures, but these may be more extensive than you are willing to accept.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of chin implants and facial procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chin Augmentation Results

+1

At six weeks after surgery, you can expect that about 75% of the chin swelling has subsided and you are getting closer to be able to see the result. You did not post a side profile so it is impossible to see how your horizontal goals have been achieved. You obviously needed a fairly large implant and that may have added too much width for a female's chin. None of your procedures would be expected to improve your gummy smile and this can be addressed with either Botox injections for temporary improvement or consider a more permanent improvement with gummy smile surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Profile after Chin Augmentation and Liposuction

+1

At 6 weeks, you will still have a fair amount of swelling in the chin, neck, and nose. Usually around 30% of the swelling remains at this point. Since you have not posted profile "after" photos, it is difficult to assess the change since surgery. Options for a "gummy" smile include neuromodulators such as BOTOX (which is temporary and requires repeat treatments) and surgical treatments best handled by a cosmetic dentist and/or a dental specialist such as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Good luck.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD