I would like to know if I am in a good position to undergo rhinoplasty. I fractured my nasal bone when I was 8 months old.

Iam currently 16 years old, male. i am planning on getting a surgery once i turn 17 which is april 28. currently it is the 9th of agoust and i still have 9 months to ask a proffesional and see if I am in a good position to undergo this treatment. When i was 8 months old i had a terrible accident which fractured my nasal bone and i think thats one of the main causes to why i have a big nose. I am a short teen 5'3. and i personally feel that my nose has stopped growing.

Now is a good time to do some research

+1
Start looking for surgeons on-line that you might connect with. It is still too early to have the surgery but getting some different opinions will help you figure out what your options are. Your nose may very well have stopped growing at this point. The18 year old mark for males is a guideline.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
You can have rhinoplasty once you have finished growth. I perform these surgeries with closed technique to preserve the structure of the nose and minimize visible scarring.

Rhinoplasty candidate

+1
Hi there,

My suggestion to you is that you take your time, choose a surgeon experienced in rhinoplasty surgery and go through your concerns about your nose with them.

They will make a full examination of your nose and then you will be able to have a full discussion about your surgery and whether  your expectations from the operation are achievable.

In our practice we use 3D imaging with Vectra which is very useful when discussing rhinoplasty surgery with our patients.

It is often a good idea to attend the appointment with someone else, and given your age it would be helpful to take one of your parents or another relative with you for the consultation.

An internet consultation whilst useful is only the start of your journey and does not replace a full face to face appointment.

After the consultation write down any questions or concerns you may have.  I would encourage you to also attend a second consultation.

Getting a second opinion can also be helpful and go with the surgeon who explains the surgery to you best and who you feel most comfortable with.

All the best

Richard

Richard Bloom, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Nasal trauma and fractured nose

+1
 Trauma to the nose can cause a fracture of the nasal bones or a fracture of the upper lateral cartilage off of the nasal bones. Surgery to re-set the nasal bones and cartilage can be performed once patient's are 17-18 years of age, and  the nose has quit growing. To reduce and re-set the nasal fracture, osteotomies of the nasal bones are required. If there is a concave upper lateral cartilage from the trauma, a spreader graft composed of cartilage harvested from inside the patient's nose is inserted for structural support. For many examples of  crooked nose repair in our practice, please see the link below.

Trauma and change in nasal shape

+1
Even minor trauma to the nose can lead to a crooked nose.   If this is the case you may be a candidate for a rhinoplasty.  The next step would be a consultation with a plastic surgeon.  

I would like to know if I am in a good position to undergo rhinoplasty. I fractured my nasal bone when I was 8 months old

+1
What you described can frequently be cosmetically improved. It is generally recommended that nasal surgery be delayed until after 16-17 for a female and after 16-18 for a male. Waiting until then usually allows the nose to reach its adult size.

Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the proposed operative procedure with you and your parents may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Ideal age for the nose

+1
You need to discuss this matter with your parents first. From the plastic surgeon's point of view you do not need to wait any longer. The minimum age for a nose surgery for a male is 14 and for female is 13. Most of the growth of the nose is completed by that age. Any residual grow of the nose should not be limiting. At ages 13 or 14 any major septoplasty should be done with caution. However at age 16 there is no limitation for the nose surgery.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for male at 17

+1
If you are no longer growing, then it is probably ok to go ahead and get a rhinoplasty if you desire, but you will need parental permission..  Best of luck.

Age for Male rhinoplasty

+1
You also need your patents consent as you will not be a major until you turn 18. But - there is not reason not to see a p lastic surgeon now and get their opinion. I have done males as young as `13 - but we usually wait until they are more mature , between 17 and 19. Get an opinion from a well qualified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Rhinoplasty for trauma

+1
Seeking out advice from your surgeon regarding timing of your surgery is an excellent idea. As you know young men mature in a delayed fashion so it is wonderful that you are going to wait another year before pursuing rhinoplasty. We treat many noses several years after the injury so rest assured that your surgeon will know how to handle your situation. Make sure that you seek a surgeon that is experienced in rhinoplasty; able to address any functional as well as
cosmetic concerns. 

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon