I Am Confuse Between Thailand and Dominican Republic for Liposuction and Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I live in NY but in Thailand Every Year? I am desperately looking for an international Doctor to perform Liposuction in the abdomen and Rhinoplasty for me.I am a world traveler,every year I am in Thailand but since I live closer to Dominican Republic,I am confuse! I believe Thailand is better in medicine but I think I like Dominican R. results better when it comes to liposuction! If I had the money,I would rather do it in NY,but I also enjoy being in a foreign country! Any recommendation for a foreign surgeon is highly appreciated!

I Am Confuse Between Thailand and Dominican Republic for Liposuction and Rhinoplasty?

+3

Easy recommendation. Do not travel of a year and save that money to have surgery in USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cosmetic Surgery in thailand or Dominican Republic

+2

While there are many good surgeons overseas (as well as fewer controls on the bad ones) the issues involved with recovery, even if everything goes well, make this a bad choice. I also don't recommend patients from there come here either. It is best to have surgery locally where you can be cared for by your surgeon who did the procedure. Some complications don't show up until later. Example: I had a patient treated by a very close friend of mine in Brazil who is a superb surgeon. On the airplane ride home, after staying in Brazil a week, the incision came open ON THE PLANE! When she arrived I had to operate on her in an emergency and she lost her entire result. Also , if something is cheap there is always a reason. Cheap surgery is not the same as the real deal.

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Have liposuction near your home

+2

Save your money and have your liposuction locally.  NYC has many great liposuction surgeons charging very very fair fees.  Get 10 consults in NYC and stay there .  You will be far far far safer in NYC.   A foreign sports car, or wrist watch, etc may be fun but use common sense in choosing health care.  If you go to parts unknown and have liposuction and have problems, who is going to care for you?  Where are the anesthesia standards the highest in the world?  The USA.   Where are the operating facility standards the highest in the world?  The USA of course.   Where is doctor supervision by medical boards the highest in the world?  Again the USA.  If you travel 5000 or 10000 miles, can you get some special little twist that you cannot get in the USA.  Never.  USA anesthesia, facility supervision, and excellence  in plastic surgery is at the top of the world.   Don't be foolish.  If you cant find a doctor in NYC, go to New Jersey, or Pennsylvania, or Connecticut, but for your health, safety, and results do not leave the USA.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic tourism

+2

Hi Roody

In Australia we have countless number of patients returning from having cosmetic procedures in Thailand. So we see first hand the problems with cosmetic tourism.

We face the same problems as our American colleagues, namely:

1. No follow up. You can be the best surgeon in the world but without follow up the clinical pathway fails. I use the knee surgeon analogy with my patients. You can have the best knee implant, performed by the best surgeon in the best hospital BUT without proper physical therapy it all goes to waste. Same goes with any cosmetic procedure, you need the entire clinical pathway to be connected to ensure a great result. 
  2. Complications:  You need a surgeon that can tell you his/her plan for any complications that may arise. Whether it is an acute (ie 1st 48hours) or long term (weeks/years) complication. When you take this in to account, you will see the local option is cheaper in the long term.
  3. Cost: Is it really cheaper. The tourist companies deceive Australian patients that the overseas model is cheaper. However, when you add it all up the savings aren't as siginificant as you think they are. 
  4. You live in NYC, one of the premier cities for cosmetic surgery. With outrageously high standards and elite surgeons.  I would be very reluctant to travel over the George Washington let alone Thailand or The Dominican Republic.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

+1

I think that if you find the right surgeons in the US you will get safety, good judgment, prevention of complications, and great results.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures and rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Surgery overseas

+1

I think that you have to be very careful going out of the US if you live here.  What if you have a complication and return home?  How will you get care from your surgeon?

Foreign surgeons

+1

I would caution you going overseas for surgery. You will have a difficult time finding someone to take care of any problems upon your return and there tends to be large number of problems with surgeries done outside of the u.s.   very different regulations!!

Sanjay Lalla, MD, FACS
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Risky...

+1

Surgery in a foreign country has become increasingly popular most likely due to lower prices.  The problem is local United States follow-up should you develop a problem.  I have seen many people in the local Emergency Rooms looking for a doctor to help them with a postoperative complication and quite frankly most plastic surgeons here do not want to be involved in taking care of someone's else's complications since we do not even know what surgical technique was used and it is difficult to communicate with/get a history from these surgeons.  I would do lots of research before signing up for this.

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon