Does Fat Grafting help patients with scarring problems after facelift?

3.5 mos ago i had a facelift which left me with lumps visible when i smile (hard scar tissue and soft seem empty ) where hematomas on both sides were drained for days. my skin is matted down in those area (and breaking out). dr suggested a skin releAse (longer downtime) another said fat grafting woul be better in 3 months. i used juvederm for now. i read an article that fat grafting is used to treat scarring under the skin....http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130924122451.htm

Fat Injections for Facelift Skin Adhesions

+2
Release of skin adhesions from any procedure, including a facelift, can be successful as it combines the release with the introduction of an intervening layer of soft tissue. The timing of it can be debated after the initial surgery but anytime after three or four months would not be unreasonable particularly after the origin of them was from hematomas.

Fat grafting would be most unusual treatment for facelift complications.

+1
I'm not really sure the nature of the problems you've experienced after facelift. I don't believe I've ever confronted anything like this. If there is volume deficiency as a rare byproduct of the operation and fat grafting may be indicated.

Facelift

+1
Thank you for your question. Fat grafting may be able to smooth out the contour abnormalities that you are experiencing. You are still early in the postoperative period. I would recommend waiting at least 6 months for the everything to heal before embarking on another procedure. Good luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting After Facelift #facelift#fattransfer

+1
Certainly fat transfer can help but given that you are only 3.5 months out I would say let this go for 6 months at least. Most likely a lot of the lumpy areas will resolve with time. The bleeding causes scarring and scars take up to a year to mature and remodel. I know waiting a year may not be the answer for you but as long as you can wait the better. The lymphatic draining is also compromised which contributes to that lumpy hard feeling. That too will resolve with time. If you can make yourself wait that long you may not need fat transfer. But, in the end fat transfer can do a lot for the areas that may not end up settling to your liking.

Richard J. Brown, MD