Can you have a facelift without internal sutures?

i thought i was feeling the internal sutures near my mouth (before forming scarring from a hematoma i saw the corners being pinched and i couldnt.camt smile like i did. dr said. he doesnt use internal sutures at all during facelifts. how is a facelift without internal suture possible?

Facelift without internal sutures : Beware

+1
Mini Face Lift procedures vary greatly from surgeon to surgeon. Typically those non board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeons such as dermatologists, general surgeons, etc simply remove some excess skin, do little undermining and close the skin. Historically this is how facelifts were done a century ago (see link)

Board Certified Plastic Surgeons typically use internal sutures to support the supporting structures of the skin to give a better and more lasting result.

Internal sutures are Almost a requirement for a good result from a facelift.

+1
A facelift is not just a skin operation. A properly executed facelift repositions malar in mid face fat. It also addresses any laxity in the platysma muscle of the neck. This cannot be accomplished properly without internal sutures.

Facelift

+1
Facelifting has a variety of techniques.  Not all use internal sutures.  Those that do not rely on the scar along the skin edges to retain the tension in the lift. Decades of  evaluation of results have shown that these types of facelits, while safe, have a short duration of action.  

Christopher Khorsandi, MD

Facelift without Internal Sutures

+1
Facelifts can be performed without internal sutures, but these sutures are necessary to relieve the tension on the skin sutures to leave a smaller scar. I often use slowly dissolving sutures internally so that after the skin has healed, these sutures become no longer necessary. You will end up with a much wider scar or much less of a lift if the internal sutures are not utilized.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift without internal sutures

+1
The internal sutures are used to suspend the deeper SMAS layer and thus avoid excess tension on your skin sutures. You can perform a facelift without these sutures but the longevity of this type of a procedures is likely to be shorter.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift without internal sutures??

+1
Facelift without internal sutures?? You will not get much  of a lift without them. I have used these for 36 years to get a better facelift and not pull on the skin. 

Not common

+1
angelxoxoxo: It is possible to do a very quick, not long-lasting facelift simply by cutting skin out around the ear and sewing it back together. This was the very first facelift invented in the early 1900's.  The problem with this technique is that the skin stretches out quickly.  Also, the skin is holding all the tension which causes the scars to widen over time.

Every modern facelift technique I am aware of uses some type of stitch under the skin surface to hold the deeper, more fibrous tissue layers in place.  This makes facelifts more long-lasting, and leads to much better scars.

However, most surgeons use absorbable sutures under the skin that dissolve in 2-9 months.  So, even if it is a stitch you are feeling, it will likely dissolve.  Best of luck. 

Garrett Griffin, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon