Eyes Won't Close 5 Weeks After Revisional Asian Double Eyelid Surgery?

I received revisional Asian double eyelid surgery and slight ptosis correction about 5 weeks and 3 days ago. My eyes cannot close all the way (about 3 mm of scleral show) when I gently shut my eyes and I cannot blink fully. My blink is just a slight flutter and does not go down more than halfway down the eyeball. This is causing me very dry eyes that are painful and they water all the time. I am putting in drops and ointment. Will my eyes close with time?

Asian double eyelid surgery

+1

Hello, thank you for your question.  In my opinion, lagophthalmos (inability to close the eyes fully) with 3 mm of scleral show 5 weeks after a blepharoplasty and ptosis repair is not normal.  After a ptosis repair, sometimes the levator muscle repair is too tight, causing the lagophthalmos.  I recommend that you follow up with your surgeon and that a revision for the ptosis repair may be needed (the permanent sutures placed on the muscle needs to be redone).  In the meantime, I recommend applying an eye lubricant like lacrilube to prevent drying out of the cornea.  Take care and good luck!

Sarasota Plastic Surgeon