Deep scar tissue after facelift and consequent hematoma. What are my options?

6 wks post op. had a deep plane facelifet. developed hematoma symmetrically on both sides day after. Drained nearly every day. now i am left with two thick bands of sar tissue inside my cheeks affecting especially my smile ( my face puffs up if i smile). i also have bumps and dimpling on one side more noticeable when i smile where hematomas were drained. my ps is giving me steroid injections (1 so far...no much difference)ultrasound treatments, do massage and warm compresses. what about scar revision? i

Scar tissue lumps after facelift surgery

+2
I am very sorry to hear of your discomfort.

It is common after a hematoma after facelift surgery that the area where the hematoma was present develops firm lumpy tissue in the area for the hematoma was.

Fortunately this almost always resolves with massage and the treatments that your plastic surgeon is performing.  However gradual soft thing and dissolving of the tissue can take several months.  After 6 months of healing if the lumps are still present surgical revision may be possible.

Her plastic surgeon sounds concerned and sounds as though the doctor is treating you appropriately.

Poor healing 6 weeks after a facelift

+2
  • This is a very distressing complication,
  • Bleeding after a face lift causes these changes,
  • You must wait, hard as it is - let your tissues heal.
  • You will see slow improvement over 6-12 months,
  • you may need nothing further done. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Facelift Hematomas

+2
Hi,

At this point you may just have to wait 6 to 8 months for healing to occur. Aspirating any residual hematoma, seroma or injecting with kenelog may be indicated as per your surgeon. Massaging may also help. Its very early post-op so waiting is the best option with the care of a capable surgeon.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Scar Tissue after Facelift

+2
Swelling and lumpiness can be normal after any facelift. Follow up with your surgeon to express your concerns or consider a second opinion if you are not satisfied. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma and scar tissue

+2
Greetings,

Scar tissue is almost a universal result of a hematoma.  It probably seems rock hard and as if it will never change right now, but be patient.  The cure for this is time.  Your body will break down the scar tissue and gradually return your skin and soft tissue to a normal consistency and feel.  Good luck!

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

6 weeks post facelift

+2
At this point, you need to follow closely with your surgeon, but usually things get better with time as the swelling subsides and the tissue relax.

Time heals wounds

+2
There is nothing you can do to rush healing after a hematoma.  It sounds like your surgeon is doing everything possible.  It takes 4 to 6 months for hematoma areas to resolve.  You will be fine but this is one of those wound healing problems that simply takes time.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Scarring after hematoma

+2
Occasionally there can be bleeding after facelift surgery.  If all of the blood has been drained there is not much to be done surgically at this time.  You likely will see significant improvement over the next few weeks as the swelling and any deep scarring resolves.  Sounds like you and your surgeon are doing the right things now. 

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma after facelift

+2
Unfortunately, hematoma is a possible complication of a facelift. As long as it is drained and managed appropriately, which it sounds like it was, it should not affect your ultimate outcome. It can, however, prolong the healing process. Six weeks is still early. Steroid injection versus observation are both reasonable. Give yourself time and be sure to be compliant with your surgeon's post op instructions.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Swelling and Irregularities after Facelift Hematoma

+1
Thank you for your question and sharing your story.  I'm sorry to hear about your post-op difficulties.  In most cases, however, the lumps and bumps that you feel after a hematoma is drained will resolve. It's still very early in the process! Try to be diligent with the compresses, massage, etc.  Steroids shots are also helpful and generally are given every 6 weeks -- sometimes four or five times. Most importantly, stay in touch with our surgeon throughout this process. Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon