Breast Reduction/lift and Sizing? (photo)

After having 2 babies I went from a perfect C to a DD. I am seriously thinking to get a breast reduction using the vertical incision technique. I also thought of getting breast liposuction but I keep reading that this dont help with the sagginess of the skin. If I go for the vertical technique, will I be able to achieve fullness on the top and a lift. I am a 36DD VS true size and I am looking to go back to my C cup. I guess my main concern is which one is a better option for me. Please help!

What size after reduction?

+2

Your desires are noted but what technique works best varies accordingly to what you are starting with.  To achieve upper pole fullness, you need to use your own tissue to augment the upper pole.  But your size would make it very challenging to me to do your procedure with only a vertical scar... or you simply accept the need for a revision later.  As for how much to reduce your breasts, my patients guide me by telling me how much volume they wish to remove and I try to fulfill their request.  But I can never guarantee a cup size.  As for liposuction, it would be a bad choice for the aforementioned reasons given by the other doctors.

Breast Reduction/lift and Sizing?

+1

A superomedial technique has been utilized successfully in cases of gigantomastia and work well in your case as would any number of pedicle choices.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts and reductions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Reduction and technique

+1

There are many techniques to perform for breast reduction, and a vertical technique is just one.  You may be a candidate but an exam is critical.  See the video below.

Vertical breast reduction gives the most fullness on top.

+1

Hi.

1)  You are not a good candidate for liposuction.

2)  Should get a great result with vertical breast reduction.  This technique shapes the breasts from the inside, does not rely on pulling the skin, and so gives the best long term shape.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Concerns about Breast Reduction/Lifting Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your description and pictures,  you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction/lifting surgery. My best advice to you will not be about the specifics of the procedure but include: 

1.  Choose your plastic surgeon after careful due diligence. Make sure that he/she is well experienced and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of work performed and preferably speak to previous patients as well.

2.  Communicate your goals carefully. Learn about the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with the breast surgery proposed. In my practice, I prefer the use of goal pictures during this communication process. For example, make sure that your plastic surgeon understands what you mean by “fullness on top” and whether or not this is achievable and/or realistic.

3.  After steps 1 and 2 you will be able to decide whether or not to proceed with breast surgery.  Achieving realistic expectations as well as understanding the potential downsides associate with surgery are both important parts of the preoperative education process.

Best option in breast reduction

+1

To answer some of your questions I can say they breast liposuction will not address the lift you want/need. A breast reduction with skin resection is necessary. the vertical technique is feasible but in my hands a small skin resection at the bottom of the breast is always a better option. Is best to rely on the technique your surgeon is more comfortable with and you should look at the before and after photos to see if you like it. This will give you an idea of the degree of fullness you can achieve with his/her technique. Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Humberto Palladino, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon