Will Botox reduce over pronounced jaw/treat TMJ?

What sort of specialist do I consult to inject Botox into my masseter muscles in the hopes of a more feminine jawline? Does it matter if I consult a dermatologist or plastic surgeon, so long as s/he is certified?

Botox for enlarged masseter muscles

+2
Botox is very effective for treating TMJ and for slimming hypertrophied masseter muscles. Typically,  25 units per side are required, although this varies with the size of the muscle.

You should seek care from a board-certified specialist from either specialty with experience with this treatment.

Botox to treat the masseter muscle

+1
Botox is commonly used to reduce the size of the masseter muscle cosmetically or improve jaw clenching and TMJ.  My patients get great relief and especially for woman who are looking to soften their jawline, it can create a subtle and nice improvement.  Make sure to see an injection specialist (plastic, oculoplastic, facial plastic or derm) who is familiar with the facial anatomy here and has experience using botox this way.  The results are also longer lasting, over time, then some other cosmetic injections, such as crows' feet injections.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Appropriate physician to administer Botox for masseter hypertrophy

+1
Botox is an excellent treatment to reduce the prominence of the jaw (masseter hypertrophy) and to reduce TMJ symptoms.  There are board-certified physicians in facial plastic surgery, plastic surgery and dermatology experienced in Botox for masseter reduction.  There are also many physicians within these specialities without extensive experience.  Doing your due diligence and choosing the right physician is more important than choosing the specialty.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox to treat the jaw/TMJ

+1
Botox can be used to treat the masseter muscle and can be very effective for this treatment.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Botox for the best cosmetic results.

Michele S. Green, MD

#botulinum toxin, #grindingteeth, #jawline contour and #cosmeticsurgery

+1
Dear irsi

Thank you for your question!  Botox can be used to shape the jawline by reducing the masseter size and weakening the muscles of the neck skin as well as the chin point and Depressor Anguli Oris.  Some people respond well for treatment of their grinding at night.  TMJ treatment depends on the issue that is causing TMJ problems.

With Warm Regards
Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Masseter

+1
You should see a physician that is certified and has a lot of experience with this.  Plastic surgeons, dermatologists, and ENT surgeons can do this.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Botox in jaw line

+1
I will tell you that botox in the jawline does work, but it will require treatment a few times before seeing a reasonable result.  

Botox for TMJ and jawline

+1
This sort of depends on you. If you are trying to have the procedure done under insurance for TMJ, then you most likely will need to consult a neurologist or ENT. Most derms and plastic surgeons cannot bill for these services. However, a neurologist or ENT isn't going to have the cosmetic portion of the treatment you are desiring. Also, quite often, I find that the amount of money required to bill to insurance and be covered is astounding and most patients end up paying the same amount of money under insurance as they would just going to a derm or plastic to begin with. Sooooo, long story short, look on the Botox website and find some physicians in your area. Contact the offices and select one that says that doctor has a good amount of injecting experience to the jawline. That's your best bet overall.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

+1
Both Plastic Surgeons and Dermatologists typically have alot of Botox experience. The key is to find a physician injector who does alot of masseter slimming treatments with Botox. For a properly selected patient, the results can be very gratifying both in terms of jawline shaping and improvement in TMJ discomfort. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon