Am I a good candidate for eyelid surgery? Planning to change my eye shape (Photo)

I strongly believe I have a great eye color but for some reason my eyes don't look really good to me. I thought that rhinoplasty would dramatically improve my situation, but as you can see my eyes still not look that great. Is my left eyebrow to blame for this? Is my brow position bad? Maybe the circles under my eyes? I don't know since I'm only 19 so I don't believe lifting would benefit me. I'm envious of the eyes that I've posted. How can I achieve such result? Is my expectation realistic?

Canthopexy

+2
I would recommend a canthopexy.  This is a procedure to tighten the lateral canthus or ligament of your lower lid to help correct the low positioning of your lower lid, a.k.a. lid lag. 

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid shape

+2
What I notice most is that the lower eyelids are a little low so you can see some white under the iris.  This can be corrected with a surgery to elevate the lower lids, but it is not an easy repair.  See an oculoplastic surgeon if you really want this done.  However your eyes do not look bad at all, and when you have that color people will notice that and not the lid being low.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid shape

+1
It is always difficult to tell from photographs but it appears that you have lower eyelid retraction and elevating the lower eyelids can result in a more pleasant appearance and make you look less tired.  This can sometimes even be performed without surgery (ie with fillers) but that depends on many factors.  I would recommend seeing an oculoplastic surgeon in your area who specializes in cosmetic treatments and review the options.  It is important that they evaluate your whole face to discuss what will make you look your best.

Best of luck.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Are You a Candidate for Eyelid Surgery?

+1
You are right--your eyes are a nice color. Given your youth, the fact that you have already had one cosmetic surgery and the degree to which you seem troubled by the slight difference in the appearance of your eyes, I wonder whether you may just be worrying about your looks too much. You may have some measure of body dysmorphic disorder, as some plastic surgeons have suggested. Or you might just be going through a period of increased focus on your looks for some reason. I would recommend you read up on BDD and see what you think.

All that said, your eyes are not perfectly symmetrical as you have noted. But I am sure you know that very few people have symmetrical features, and there are many celebrities with marked asymmetry who are very attractive. Just do a Google search and you'll see.

If you would like to, you are welcome to come in to our offices for a consultation, or you can seek out another plastic surgeon in your area who enjoys working on eyes and has years of experience. You can use the opportunity to take an objective look at your face, learn what's possible (and not) through surgery or non-invasive treatment, then take some time to think it through.

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD

Eyelid Surgery for the younger patient

+1
Aging or tired looking lower eyelids can be the result of several different issues;
  1. Pigmentation of the lower eyelid can make you look tired or angry. The pigment can be alleviated with skin bleaches like Kojic acid or Hydroquinone. Many of the looks of tired looking eyes can be attributed to this darker color to the skin.
  2. Depressed tear troughs or sunken folds under the eyelid can be the result of genetics, loss of fat to the area under the eye or cheek sagging. In any case, the best way to treat a depression in this area is with a filler. I prefer fat grafting to this area because it is replacing fat with fat and the color of the fat tends to neutralize any blue color from the surrounding blood vessels for those with thin skin. Other fillers like juvederm or Restylane tend to cause a bluish hue under the skin called the Tyndall effect. The fillers are also a little more stiff and unnatural looking when placed under the thin skin of the lower eyelid.
  3. Herniated fat from around the eyes can create the bags that so many older people hate. Treatmet for the bags involves removing the fat to smooth out the lower eyelid. While this can be a problem for younger patients, it is more frequently associated with the aging eye.
  4. Excess skin or crepey skin can also contribute to lower eyelid aging. Surgery to remove the excess skin is simple but I caution that there is always the risk of excessive removal leading to a blood hound look. Care should always be taken to take less than more skin!
If you would like more information on eyelid rejuvenation, please read my book " A More Beautiful You - Reverse Aging with skin care, plastic surgery and lifestyle solutions".

Robert M. Freund, MD

I would be curious how many hours a day your are thinking about this.

+1
There is basically nothing wrong with your eyes.  I agree that botox can make a difference.  However, you are basically looking for something that will not be accomplished by surgery.  You probably fit into the body dysmorphic spectrum.  That means that you discern issues that others have trouble seeing or defining.  If you can't accurately describe your concern to a potential surgeon with great specificity, it is very difficult (impossible) to have them achieve the result you are hoping for.  Research shows that surgeons are not able to understand the concerns of individuals with body dysmorphic disorder.  This means you end up with very unsatisfactory surgical results.  So I am advising you that your expectations are not realistic.  You do live in a  world where you are likely to find someone who will operate on you.  You are far better off spending your money on a psychotherapist to gain insight into who you are and how you understand your body and appearance.

Lower eyelid retraction giving unhappy eye appearance

+1
What is likely causing your unhappiness is that your lower eyelids are positioned a little lower, with scleral show.  They is basically lower eyelid retraction. The lower eyelids can be lifted but you have to understand the pros and cons of this surgery.  See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Changing eye shape

+1
While you have low folding and may not like what genetics has given you, I think you have to be realistic about this.  Botox to elevate your brows slightly and correct asymmetry would be the most I would recommend.  Understand that everyone has some degree of facial asymmetry.  I agree that a bleph is not indicated.

Robert L. Kraft, MD