6 weeks post facelift and filler removal. should I have lumps after hematoma evacuation? (Photo)

had a deep plane face lift after removing permanent filler. developed hematoma on both sides. drained x 10 days. face looked nice after draining. a week later i developed scar tissue in the form of a band (visible as lumpy on one side). and two soft lumps (dr poked w. needle no serum in there). what are the soft lumps? when i smile i get dimply on the side with more scar tissue and face gets wide when i smile at the bottom. is swelling making it wide? i am doing conservative steroid ultrasound and massage

6 weeks post facelift and filler removal. should I have lumps after hematoma evacuation?

+2
Yes it is common to form scar tissue which feel like lumps.  The healing process will take time to smooth, it may take up to a year.   Meantime, massage and ultrasound helps    Best to you

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative hematoma can prolonged convalescence.

+2
A hematoma even if properly drained can cause additional swelling which will take longer to resolve. It six weeks I would not be worried provided the trend is favorable.

Hematomas and lumps

+2
After hematomas that last a while there are lumps that last 6 mo or so before gone.   They will progressively go but you need to be patient.  Massage and  ultrasound help but time is king in resolution of this problem.  There is really no way to rush this normal healing process.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Post Facelift #facelift

+1
Unfortunately this happens. When it does the bleeding causes quite a bit of inflammation in the tissues. It can take many months for this to resolve but it will. I would just be patient, as hard as that is, and it should get better. The therapies you are getting can help. Time will be the best treatment. It may take 6 months or more.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Facelift

+1
Thank you for your question. It is very early to evaluate the final result. I wold continue to follow your plastic surgeon's treatment plan.  I would try and have frequent follow up appointments with your physician so they can monitor your progress. Good luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Bumps after face lift hematoma

+1
  • It is likely that the bumps and lumps are the protein your body is making to heal your surgery and hematoma drainage.
  • Your treatment plan sounds fine.
  • Hematomas will cause more hardness, swelling and longer healing. Keep in touch with your surgeon to monitor your healing.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Lumps after hematoma

+1
Depending on the kind of permanent filler you had removed and whethar or not all of it was removed, some of the lumpiness can be caused from product remaining in the tissues.  Most likely, however, the swelling and scarring you are experiencing 6 weeks after the procedure and drainage of the hematoma will resolve as the face heals.  Light massage of the area and ultrasound are good modalities to speed scar softening and remodeling but time and the natural healing process will usually take care of any irregularities or firm areas.  I will advise patients that the body will take 6-12 months to heal and the scars to remodel.  At that point you can reassess and see if there will be any lasting irregularities or defomrities.

Michelle J. Place, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and lumps

+1
Sounds like you had a pretty big issue with permanent fillers which may lead to irregularities, best to speak with your surgeon.