When Can I Take the Splint off? (photo)

My nose was broken by a blunt force trauma and then reset by an ER surgeon. I had no swelling or bruising and, although I don't remember how it looked the doctor said my nose looked amazing. My splint has been the most uncomfortable part for me, it's starting to slide down off my face, and it just itches and smells! He told me to leave it on for 5-7 days but I really don't know if I want to wait any longer. What're your thoughts? It was suggested I see a plastic surgeon in 2 months anyway.

Doctors When Can I Take the Splint off?

+2

DO not self treat! Return to that ER for care or seek a PS in NYC to remove the splint for you. Best of luck. 

Nasal Fracture and Splint

+2

The splint is intended to stay on for 7 days but if it falls off sooner, I usually do not reapply it.  The longer your wear it, the more stability it will provide to the re-aligned nasal bones and remind you not to bump it in the acute post reduction period.  Keep in mind to avoid another trauma or activities where you can be hit in the nose for 6 weeks.   

Michael J. Lipan M.D. 

Facial Plastic Surgery of Palm Beach Gardens and West Palm Beach, Florida.

Michael Lipan, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Facial Plastic Surgeon

Splint often falls off by itself

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  If it has been 5-7 days your primary care doctor someone that your ER doctor recommended can take the splint off.  It often lifts off and falls off on its own anyways since the nose skin is generally oily.  

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD