Only One Half of Nasal Tip Numb? (photo)

Is it normal for only one half of the nasal tip to be numb after rhinoplasty? The side where there is numbness also had a lot more bleeding, and a lot more bloody "crusting". I am paranoid about necrosis since I smoked 2 weeks before the surgery. The area where there is numbness is directly above an area of very black blood. I have cleaned very very gently with hydrogen peroxide, but I am scared to remove the black mass. Thanks!

Asymmetric healing common after rhinoplasty.

+1

It's not unusual to perceive things differently on one side of the nose or the other after rhinoplasty. All this should balance out as the swelling subsides. There is nothing in the photograph that appears alarming.

Numbness on nose

+1

Numbness of the tip or part of the tip is pretty common with rhinoplasty. It often improves as the swelling dissipates. If concerned, best to see your surgeon.

Nasal tip numbness after a rhinoplasty

+1

Partial nasal tip numbness after a rhinoplasty is not a cause for alarm and may be quite normal.  

Temporary numbness is normal after rhinoplasty.

+1

A little reduction in sensation of the tip of the nose is quite normal after rhinoplasty. Don't worry, its completely temporary! It can involve the entire tip, under the tip, or part of the tip. It is also reasonably normal to have one nostril leak more blood or have more scabs than the other. Sounds like you are doing fine! Keep following your surgeon's post operative instructions and call the office if you encounter anything else that you think is unusual.  

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty healing

+1
  1. Dear droopybrows,
  2. The numbness is normal after surgery and it will continue to be numb for several weeks
  3. The black mass looks like a blood crust, but I can't be sure unless I saw it in person
  4. You can see if you can lift it off, like a scab
  5. If you have urgent concerns, you should see your plastic surgeon just to be sure

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD