MD selling half syringe of Juvederm?

I had a consult with an MD offering half syringes at about $375. I am concerned at how this may be possible. Does Juvederm come in Half cc's? Is this man reusing his syringes on multiple patients to split a cc into 2 uses?

Half Syringe of Juvederm

+1
Doctors do not sell ½ syringes of filler nor does Allergan supply them as such. Most people would require at least one syringe to properly treat an area. That being said, one syringe of filler can be decanted to another syringe to treat two patients. I would only do this if they were friends/relatives and came to our office together for their injections so that the stability of the product is preserved.

You should perhaps ask the MD how they are preserving the half syringe.

Web reference: http://www.edelsteincosmetic.com/learning-centre/fillers/juvederm.php

This is very unusual and likely unsafe

+1
While it is theoretically possible to have one half a syringe of a product, the best thing to do is to avoid this person as it is also possible they are using it on multiple individuals and it could be non-sterile or unsafe.  I would not even consider a person who sells it in this way.  Besides this, the price he is charging approaches what we would charge for an entire syringe! 
Omaha Dermatologist

Watch out.

+1
Juvederm comes in 1 cc syringes.  Each syringe has a serial number, and one serial number can only be used for one patient. You are right to be suspicious.  You should ask the doctor.  It used to come in 0.8 cc syringes. Make sure you are seeing a board certified facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, dermatologist or oculoplastic surgeon. 
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

MD selling half syringe of Juvederm

+1
Juvederm does come in smaller syringes.  So it is possible.  However, one should NEVER split a 1 cc syringe between two patietns.

Is there a role for half a syringe of Juvederm?

+1
I think that you have a valid question.  It is rare that a patient wont need more than 1 syringe to treat facial lines, folds and volume loss.  If a physician is offering only half a syringe, make sure that they are not splitting the syringe with two patients.  This could lead to sterility issued and potentially transmission of diseases between patients.  Physicians offering such small quantities often are not experienced and don't know where to place the filler.  I would make sure the physician is a board certified plastic, facial plastic, occuloplastic or dermatologic surgeon with experience in filler injections. 
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

MD selling half syringe of Juvederm?

+1
This does occur. It is rare to find a person who will see significant benefit from 1 cc, let alone 0.5 cc. For this reason, the practice of injecting small syringes is very uncommon. If you do choose to go down that route, ensure that your injector is using small syringes (as opposed to half of a full 1 cc syringe) and they open the product in the room with you. This will ensure that safe, sterile filler will be used only for you.

I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/facial-dermal-fillers/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm comes in 1/2 cc but cost is more

+1
Juvederm comes in 1/2 cc but cost is considerably more.    There are offices that will segment and use partial syringes on a patient ( Hopefully the same patient).   The company Allergen says this is not supposed to be done.    Ask the doctor to see the half syringes to be used.   Physician Injectors generally will not do this splitting but it does occur.   My Best,  Dr C
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

"Half syringes" of injectable fillers

+1
Selling a syringe meant for single - patient use as two halves, to two different people, is unethical and likely illegal. There are syringes produced of 0.4cc or 0.5cc depending on the filler - these are perfectly fine.

I would ask to see the box and syringe to see if you are buying a factory "half" or they are splitting the product on-site. If the latter, run.
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon