I Am Having Bulbous Tip Reduced, Surgeon Said He Will Only Rotate Nasal Tip Cartilages?

He is not removing anything from the tip (my tip projects too much and is bulbous) he will just rotate the nasal tip cartilages and attach them with non absorbable sutures to the dorsum of the nose. So what I am asking is, can this reduce the projection of my tip and shorten my nose or does more need to be done? thank you

Reducing Nasal tip

+1

The consensus appears to be that multiple steps are required to treat an over-projecting , bulbous tip. I agree , and I suggest that you speak with your surgeon regarding the details of your surgery. He/she may already be planning an approach similar to what has been discussed here . If not you have some ideas for further discussion

Reduction of Bulbous Tip

+1

Treatment of a bulbous nasal tip typically involves several elements.  The upper portion of the lower lateral cartilages are usually removed.  The tip may be sutured to refine the tip and if the tip is overprojecting it may need to be set back by dividing the cartilage an overlapping the cartilages.  What needs to be done in your case is difficult to say without any photographs.

Michael Sundine, MD

Bulbous tip rhinoplasty

+1

The very projecting nose requires multiple techniques  in order to get the nose to balance.  De-projection of the nose can occur with by shaving down the dorsal cartilage, tip suturing techniques, shortening the lower lateral cartilages, resecting a nasal spine, and  suturing the tip downward along the caudal septum.  Once the tip is been de-projected, its important to make sure the rest of the nose balance with the new tip. We have virtual  rhinoplasty imaging software on our website that might be educational for you to try out .

Tip Rotation Can De-project and Shorten the Nose

+1

From a technical standpoint, rotating the tip cartilages upwards onto the caudal septum (dorsally) can deproject and shorten the nose. How the surgeon does this determines the outcome. From a practical standpoint, you are asking the wrong question. You should be picking your rhinoplasty surgeon on his results, happiness of his patients, experience, and training, not on the particular technique he says he is going to use. There are a multitude of techniques available when doing a rhinoplasty. The skill comes in knowing which ones will best accomplish what you want in a particular patient. Find a surgeon you are comfortable with for all of the "right" reasons and let him or her decide on the best techniques for your nose. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Without knowing exactly what procedure he will be doing, it is impossible to say.  There are procedures where cartilage is not removed, but is cut and repositioned, sometimes folded on itself for more support, etc.  So, he may be able to get the results you are looking for, but it depends on exactly what he is doing!  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip issues

+1

Sometimes using sutures attached to the septum can setback the tip a bit. It is best to be evaluated in person.

Tip Rotation for Bulbous Tip

+1

Tip rotation can decrease tip projection and shorten the nose. However, the contour of the tip cartilages must be changed to narrow the bulbous tip.

Bulbous tip correction

+1
yes what he is planning will reduce the projection and shorten the nose however it will not change the bulbous part.

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Shortening Nose and Reducing Projection

+1

By rotating the tip upwards, this may give a little less projection, depending upon your starting point and ending point.   The bulbous nature of the nose needs to be addressed separately if it bothers you.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA