What Can You Do for a Scar from Revision Blepharoplasty That is Not Healing and Very Visible?

I had an upper eyelid blepharoplasty on 8/19/13. The scars healed very well but too much skin was on the left eyelid. The revision surgery was done on 8/19/13. The scar is not healing. It is very visible and looks horrible. The plastic surgeon said "don't worry"- however I am very upset about this scar. Can anything be done?

Upper Blepharoplasty Will Continue to Heal for 1 Year

+1

I understand you are concerned about your upper blepharoplasty scar.  These incision heal exceptionally well although some may take longer.  I would consider non-surgical options before undergoing a surgical procedure.  Injections with 5-fluorouracil, lasers, or scar creams would be easy steps that I would start with.  I would be patient as the incision is likely going to improve on its own over time.  

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty scar

+1

From my understanding you are approximately 6 weeks out from your revision or was that the original surgery?  If so, you are just emerging from the inflammatory phase of healing where the scar can appear red, raised, and lumpy.  The good news is that blepharoplasty scars tend to heal very, very well regardless of race or ethnicity.  Give it some more time.  There are certainly options to help achieve a more favorable scar such as creams, silicone gels, injections, and even lasers; however, without having photos to view and a precise timeline, it's hard to say.  Good luck.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Revision bleph scar

+1

Unfortunately, I can't tell from your question whether it was the revision or initial procedure performed on August 19. If you had the revision then, your scar is still in the inflammatory phase of healing and it will take time to resolve. I would encourage you to post a photo.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Blepharoplasty Healing

+1

Although I am not entirely clear about the timeline of events between the initial surgery and the revision, I would like to reassure you that upper lid Blepharoplasty incisions heal very well in the majority of cases.  A revision incisions is likely to take longer in order for the scar to appear aesthetically acceptable.  I would recommend waiting 9-12 months before making a final judgment.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dealing with a prominent eyelid scar after a revision early post-op

+1

It would be helpful if you posted a picture of what you are talking about, especially saying that it hasn't healed.  If it is a bright red scar then some BBL/IPL may be able to fade that, or if you can find anyone with a continuous-wave dye laser.  It will take a while to fade on its own, so a concealer pencil on the like would cover it up until it does fade.  A second surgery done soon after the first tends to heal a bit slower than the original.

Myles Goldflies, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon