What Can I Expect After PRK Surgery?

I wanted to get PRK instead of LASIK since there's no flap created, but I have a couple of questions... 1. Will my eyes be bloodshot after the surgery? If yes, for how long? 2. People say that PRK is more painful compared to other surgeries. Is that during or after the surgery? 3. How long will it be until I have enough vision to be able to drive? 4. Will I have to take antibiotics after the surgery? A bit about me: I've got -4.5 diopters of myopia and -1.5 diopters of astigmatism (both eyes).

PRK vs. LASIK

+1

Your eyes may be bloodshot after the surgery for about a week, but less so than with LASIK.  There is no pain during the surgery, but the eyes will feel scratchy for about a week after.  People describe it as feeling like having an old contact lens in the eye.  Your surgeon will give you medication for the discomfort.  About 50% of patients can drive the next day after PRK and 95% can drive within a week.  You will be given antibiotic eye drops (not ingested) and steroid eye drops (not ingested) to take after the surgery.  The antibiotic eye drops are generally taken for a week, the steroid drops for a month or so. With your prescription sounds like you would be an ideal candidate for PRK as long as you have enough corneal thickness

San Diego Ophthalmologist

Prk vs LASEK

+1

PRK is very painful takes forever to recover and is prone to scarring. That's why it's been replaced by LASEK. I did my last PRK in 1999 btw

New York Ophthalmologist

PRK questions

+1

1) Maybe a little due to the normal inflammation after surgery. It will be a day or two before the anti-inflammatory drops control this.

2) After the surgery there will be some discomfort as the eye is healing for 3-6 days. During the surgery there is no pain.

3) This varies but usually within the first 3-7 days.

4) You will be prescribed antibiotic drops.

I would advise you to find a fellowship trained corneal surgeon and wait until you have had a thorough discussion of the risks and benefits of each surgery before you decide which to proceed with.

New York Ophthalmologist