Dog Bite on the Nose. Using Kelo-Cote, But Is there Anything Else to Lessen the Appearance?

Hi, my name is Melissa. My mother's chihuahua bit my nose two weeks ago. He bit the sides of my nose (nostrils) which punctured through the right side and the left side is a hole but did not puncture through.I did not need stitches as it was a puncture. After the scabs peeled off, the scar to me looks a bit raised. I am using kelo-cote to reduce the scaring but I woul like to know if I can do anything else to lessen the appearance of the scars. Please help!

+2

Dear Melissa, It sounds like you're doing the right thing. I would also suggest sunscreen to prevent darkening of the scar tissue. If you're unhappy with how things are healing at six weeks you can undergo dermabrasion (sanding of the skin) or laser resurfacing in the office which will improve alot of traumatic nasal scars. Seek a Facial Plastic Surgeon for evaluation and discussion of your options. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril scars and pulsed dye scar laser

+1

Raised scars may benefit from pulsed dye scar laser that can decrease vascularity and soften the existing and future scars. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scar improvement

+1

Keep the area moist with vaseline or aquaphor. Once the skin is healed several treatments with pulsed dye laser - Vbeam - can significantly reduce redness and improve appearance of scars.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist