Tumescent Lipo - 4 Weeks Post Op of Full Abdomen, Flanks, Inner and Outer Thighs, Barely Lost Weight?

Tumescent lipo on June 20th of the abdomen, flanks, inner and outer thighs. So I am now 1 month postop. Was a size 10ish in pants and am fitting comfortably-ish now into a size 6. Can I expect to get a smaller? A little frustrated that I still have that muffin top, my skin still jiggles and my lower ab still sticks out. I am 5'4 and was 155 day of procedure/s. I am now 151. Also, my inner and outer thighs.. minimal change. Can this be?

It takes time after liposuction...

+1

Congratulations on your surgery and going smaller in size! 4 weeks is still fairly soon after liposuction.  Depending on how much liposuction was done, you would continue to lose weight (swelling) for another couple months.  It may even take 6 months.  In regards to your overall shape/contour and skin laxity, I think the time will tell.  After 6 months, if you still have excess skin, you may need tummy tuck and/or thigh lift.  Liposuction is good for deflating and removing fat; however, it is not effective in skin tightening.  

+1

Swelling can persist for 6 months and sometimes up to 1 year following liposuction.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction is designed to contour and reduce bulges, not reduce obesity

+1

The ideal candidate for liposuction is a patient who is physically fit and has a healthy diet but can't reduce a certain bulge such as the lower abdomen or love handles. If there is signficant amount of volume to lose over the whole abdomen and thighs and arms, that person probably has at least a borderline overweight status. Liposuction does not reduce the fat around the intestines behind the abdominal muscular wall. This fat causes the stomach to bulge forward and does respond to diet and exercise.

It takes a minimum of six months to a  year for maximum collagen tightening in the subcutaneous compartment to contract to its tightest volume after the fat is removed. Fat is not dense and weight loss is not as significant factor as volume reduction with liposuction.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Recovery from liposuction

+1

Recovery process is one year.  At 4 months you are 70%, at 6 month 85% and at one year 100%.   You must reflect the weight removed at surgery when you step on the scale by 3 months.  If you fail  to reflect then you have gained weight.   Makes sense correct?  Beyond reflecting at 3 months I ask patients to match what I tool by 6 months.   If I took 10 lbs they must reflect that 10 lbs by 3 months and match by 6 months.   I do not insist on the matching but I do insist on the reflecting because if a patients does not reflect then they have GAINED WEIGHT.   Not good.   This concept of the recovery phase and what is the obligation of the patient seems to elude many people.  For the surgeon to be successful, the patient must cooperate and do their part.   Understanding the healing process and realizing the time it takes is a part of that success.    My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Early liposuction results

+1

Liposuction is a body contouring procedure, not a weight loss procedure...the amount of weight loss is generally small, but the results can be quite dramatic in the best candidates. The final results will take months to see, but patients that have skin that has lost elasticity do not have the best results.  Photos pre and post op would be helpful to advise you.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Concerns after Liposuction Surgery?

+1

Difficult to provide meaningful advise without viewing pictures or direct examination.  Issues at hand may be ongoing swelling  and/or the need for additional time to allow for skin to “bounce back”.  Sometimes these issues take months to resolve. Achieving realistic expectations prior to surgery and appropriate patient selection are also factors that play a large role in patient satisfaction after liposuction surgery.

Liposuction and results

+1

Liposuction debulks the subcutaneous fatty plane. It does not tighten skin ina any significant way. Usually there is a persisten swelling for several months.  The fullness may improve.