I Want to Enhance my Jawline, but Am Afraid a Chin Implant Will Make Me Look Like Jay Leno? (photo)

So my question is.. How can I enhance the jaw line other than having a chin implant surgery? implants in the actual jaw line? What are my options? Sometimes its obvious when someone is smiling who has a chin implant because it really sticks out and thats what I am worried about. Thank you doctors!

Chin Implant Results

+2

Chin Implant results, when the procedure is performed by an experienced Surgeon, tend to be very natural.  A "Jay Leno" result would require a very specific and unusual shape to the implant, which would be out of the mainstream of what is currently available. I prefer the Mittleman pre-jowl silastic implant made by Implantech.  The results have been phenomenal.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation and Total Jawline Enhancement

+2

A well placed and an appropriately-sized chin implant will not look like it is just sticking out there. That is what happens when the implant is too big for the rest of the jawline. When more significant chin deficiences exist, it may be important to look at the rest of the jawline at the angle area which often is too high because the entire jaw is short. In this case, a chin implant may be combined with jaw angle implants to create a more balanced jawline look. Your chin is short and your question about an implant to enhance it is appropriate. Whether you would benefit from other jawline implants to have a better look can not be determined from just a profile picture alone. Different facial angles are needed using computer imaging to determine the lower facial look that you desire.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin implant

+1

When a retrusive chin is present a small silastic chin implant can be placed at the front of the chin to make the chin more in balance with the rest of the facial features.  A small chin implant will not be noticeable upon animation and it will be very inconspicuous.  Another option would be mandibular osteotomies which is a much more involved procedure.

Chin Enhancement - What's The Best Way To Do It?

+1

The chin, especially in a male, should have as much anterior projection as the lower lip.  Secondly, the distance from your lip to the tip of your chin is elongated, and it can be optically shortened by an implant placed on the anterior inferior aspect of your mandible. 

The Mittleman chin-jowl implant would give the optical illusion of shortening the distance from your lip to the bottom of your chin, and also give you some anterior projection.  I place all my chin implants through an intraoral incision, and anchor them with a titanium screw to keep any malpositioning from occurring. 

I have done over 300 chin implants during my career and have not seen any that looked obtrusive when the patient smiled.  In New York City, you literally have over 100 Board Certified plastic and/or facial plastic surgeons to choose from.  Armed with the information provided to you by the Real Self team of experts, you should have no trouble finding just the right surgeon for your chin enhancement. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant vs Fat Grafting to chin jawline area

+1

The only setting in which I currently use a solid facial implant is for chin implant augmentation. Some patients with a 'weak' chin profile can be adequately improved by structural fat grafting alone. However, when the chin protrusion needs to be enhanced by a half centimeter or more, a chin implant is absolutely required. I prefer to use a soft, flexible, anatomic chin implant that conservatively enhances the anterior projection of the chin in profile. The chin implant is placed through an incision hidden underneath the chin, an area where many people already have a scar from a fall in childhood.

Moderate enhancement of chin projection in appropriate patients can dramatically enhance the profile, in a manner that is completely natural-appearing. It is remarkable how increasing chin prominence in some patients will reduce the apparent prominence of the nose, and restore an overall sense of harmony and balance to facial features.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Jaw line augmentation takes many forms

+1

A chin implant, by itself, increasees the forward projection of the point of the chin. Depending on the model, it can also make the front part of the chin wider, or rotate it up or down. From this photo, it is unlikely you need a chin implant proper.

To augment the jawline further posteriorly, fillers or mandibular angle implants may be the better bet. A three dimensional, in person consultation will help you sort this issue out best.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implants come in many shapes and sizes

+1

Chin implants can do alot to improve one's profile. I commonly use 4 different shape implants that each come in 4 sizes, so that's 16 choices. Even those can be carved and modified. The Vectra 3-D computer imager is also a great way to not only see what you look like with a larger chin but it can give measurements on how much is added to help determine the size implant that would suit you best.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Chin Implants That Are Subtle

+1

Chin implants come in a variety of sizes and shapes and can be tailored to the individual desires.  Radiesse injection onto the bone at desired points can be used to subtly augment the chin as well.

I Want to Enhance my Jawline

+1

It is not possible from your photo to make a good determination what is needed. The forehead and eyes need to be included and the face needs to be a perfect profile from the side with the feet, shoulders and face all pointed the same direction and not looking down. But in general, IF you neeed a chin implant and it is properly sized and positioned by a skilled surgeon, no one will know it is there whether you are smiling or not. With the photo we have, it does not look as if chin augmentation is needed. The jawline itself can be enhanced with implants, fillers, or fat grafts but it would take a front view photo for that determination.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

You are not a candidate for chin augmentation

+1

Dear CLJ21,

From the photograph enclosed your chin appears very strong and does not need any augmentation. As far as trying to enhance your jawline some photographs showing a frontal view would be helpful to get a better idea of your entire facial aesthetics. Please feel free to send those to my email listed below or website. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD