Facelift 5 Days Ago and Have Big Raised Lumps?

I had a facelift/eyes done 5/d ago. I had an amazing surgeon and all aspects of the surgery went well. At f/u, no problems. BUT I AM FREAKED OUT. I have huge, random raised lumps and bumps on my face,my eyelids are bright red, and my eyes kind of make me look like a cat (the surgeon explained why and assured me it was temporary, but still...panicked.) I see that complete panic has overridden my normally logical brain function and now I'm terrified these things won't resolve normally. HELP!

Post facelift recovery

+3

Dear seeking surgeon, With no post operative photographs it is hard to determine what you are seeing. Trust in your surgeon as you state he is amazing and let the process of recovery take it's course. You should be fine and make sure you see your surgeon for frequent postoperative visits to keep good peace of mind. No "freaking out" relax and your brain functions will return shortly. Wishing you a quick recovery! Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Facelift recovery takes time

+3

Between a facelift and eyelid surgery, the postoperative swelling, bruising, and distortion is significant. I usually tell my patients to expect to be out of sight for about two weeks after significant facial surgery. Looking bruised, red, yellow, green, lumpy, and tight can all be part of that process. Keep your faith in your surgeon, and trust their guidance now as much as you did when you chose them to do your surgery. 

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

This is very normal

+3

A facelift procedure is significant.  The is significant swelling and distortion of the face.  Lumps and bumps, brushing  and slanted eyes are a very normal post op recovery at one week.  Your progress will advance very quickly and you will look wonderful.  The face has to settle and the eyes relax.  Try and be patient.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

5 days after facelift "freaking" out

+2

I am glad you have an excellent surgeon and you can relate to him. Changes in the skin with "lumps and bumps" are rather the rule than the exception shortly after facial surgery.

We call your "situation" five days after facelift surgery the "5 day blues": Patients feel depressed, anxious and panicky a few days after the surgery.

Good contact to the surgeon's office with re-assurance from him and his staff in this time helps !

You will be very happy about your facelift result in a few days time!

Guido P. Gutter MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Recovering from a facelift

+2

Hello, and sorry to hear about your discomfort.  5 days is still very soon after your surgery, and it is not abnormal to be experiencing side effects at this time. The side effects of a facelift, which can vary depending on the type of facelift that was performed and the severity of the patient's issues may include the following:

1) Swelling
2) Bruising
3) Temporary numbness
4) Nerve injury that is usually temporary but can sometimes be permanent
5) A feeling of tightness

In general, the potential side effects from a blepharoplasty may include:

1) Moderate pain
2) Swelling
3) Mild scarring
4) Drooping of the eyelid
5) Dryness of the eyes
6) Difficulty keeping the eyes closed while sleeping
7) Hematoma

Regarding the red lumps and bumps you describe, it is hard to tell you exactly what they are without a picture.  They could be the result of asymmetric swelling or bruising, but also could be the start of an early infection.  I would see your surgeon for an evaluation.

If the lumps persist after healing, a remedy is that I use is to inject the area with 5-Fluorouracil.  This can help break down and prevent the formation of the lumps and bumps.  This is an off-label use of the medications, so I would ensure your doctor is comfortable with using this medication. From here, it is best to relax and let yourself heal. I would recommend communicating any concerns to your surgeon, as he/she knows the extent of your procedure and can provide advice. Thank you and best of luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Normal Facelift Recovery

+2

Bumps and raised areas are common after facelift surgery as the tissue is being pulled and tightened. Multiple procedures can cause significant bruising and swelling as well. These things will all settle down over time. The eyelid incisions will lighten and all the swelling and distortion you are seeing will go down quicker than you think. 

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after Facelift and Eyelid Surgery

+2

Anxiety around facial surgery is normal and expected. From the surgery itself, anesthesia, and medications, some patients may experience an emotional roller coaster. Fortunately, you're still in the very early healing period after facelift surgery and eyelid surgery. The combined plastic surgery typically results in a little more swelling or bruising than either procedure alone. Issues that concern you now normally resolve with time. Continue following your surgeons postoperative care instructions, and keep communicating with him/her. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery

+2

The first week following a facelift can sometimes be difficult for patients.  The findings you are describing may be present in the immediate postoperative period but it is difficult to fully assess without a photograph or  examination.  I often tell patients to allow two weeks postoperatively before being presentable in public to allow for healing and resolution of these minor imperfections.  I would urge you to be patient and have faith in your surgeon.  I am sure that he would be happy to see you and answer any questions you may have.  

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, M.D. 

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unusual Presentation After Facelift

+2

First and foremost.  If you have an amazing surgeon and he/she has seen you and given you reassurance then trust him/her.  No photo of the areas of your concern make any opinion in this type of forum less useful.  Continue to let your surgeon guide you through the healing process.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Lumps and bumps after a facelift - is that normal?

+2

First of all, having a facelift is a very big undertaking psychologically, so virtually everyone has "wobbles" and panics in the initial period after surgery. Please be assured that your reaction is completely normal. With regard to various lumps and bumps, this can certainly happen after surgery and may take up to several weeks to settle down. Unfortunately, you can't hurry time, and that is what is needed for the swelling to settle. Your eyes have been supported with a canthopexy, which hitches them up at the sides, and they too will settle down.

If you're still worried, please call your surgeon to arrange another appointment for a check-up - I am sure everything is fine.

Good luck!

Marc Pacifico, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon