Am I a Candidate for a Areola Breast Lift? (photo)

I really dont want a anchor scar and I want to know is it possible to get a lift around the nipple like a scarless lift or something. Or maybe an implant will lift my breasts??

Candidate for an Areolar Breast Lift?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. Unfortunately, even with your arms elevated, I think that your  breasts are too ptotic to do well with an "areolar" breast lift  only. This type of breast lift will not be powerful enough to raise the breasts  to a better position on your chest wall.  As you know, breast implants alone will not suffice when it comes to achieving aesthetically pleasing results.

Generally speaking, breast lifting involves some degree of tightening and lifting of the breast skin envelope and tissue.  In order to tighten the skin envelope, skin excision is necessary;  this results in the presence of scars. 

Sometimes, the presence of scars is a “dealbreaker”;  patients would prefer to leave their breasts unchanged than to have scars. At other times, patients  prefer to have the improvement in breast position, shape, and (possibly) size  and are willing to accept the trade-off of scars.

You will be much better served by meeting with  well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in person to discuss your goals in front of a full-length mirror. This way you will be able to demonstrate exactly what you hope to achieve and the plastic surgeon will be able to give you very specific advice.

I hope this, and attached link, help.

Am I a Candidate for an Areola Breast Lift?

+1

In general, a saggy breast will need at least a lollipop lift, an anchor lift, or something in between.  I typically start with the smallest incision and custom tailor each breast lift to the shortest scar possible.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Areolar breast reduction in Los Angeles

+1

An areolar reduction will reduce areolar size but will not be enough to uplift your breasts or nipples. A short scar may be preferable. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Not a candidate for a areolar or Benelli type breast lift

+1

You are not a candidate for a Benelli type breast lift.  Do not even consider this as a possibility.  

Am I a Candidate for a Areola Breast Lift?

+1

I'm afraid not.  I think that that procedure is good in only a relatively small percentage of patients and that, if anything, it's overused.   You will need more than that in order to achieve a shape you're happy with.  It will entail at least a vertical mammaplasty (lollipop scars) and possibly, depending on what your goals are, an anchor-shaped pattern.  Whether or not that's worth it for you is something you'll have to talk about with your own surgeon.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Areola breast lift

+1

Thanks for your question. You would be a great candidate for a full lift not a arealoa lift, or could potentially go with a reduction.  If you like your general size then a full lift would be the procedure of choice and you would loose very little volume. The best way to evaluate ptosis (sag) is by physical exam but a picture can give a preliminary idea. The best picture is a side profile. In general breast lifts are done to not only raise the nipple but also to make the areolar/nipple complex smaller and raise the breast tissue to a more natural youthful position. Of course, the key to a great breast lift is patient selection and technique selection. Areolar lifts are generally good for women with good skin quality, breast tissue reasonably placed and a nipple/areola that are sagging no more than 2 cm. Once the breasts sag past that point, it is necessary to perform a lollipop lift which not only repositions the sagging breast tissues but also the nipple and areola. The final and most aggressive lift is an anchor lift which places both a vertical and horizontal incision. Again the determinant is the degree of sagging, skin quality and amount of breast tissue. Last, if there is a deficiency in breast tissue, an augmentation can be done either together with the lift or as separate procedures. Make sure you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon get get specifics on your situation.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Breast lift

+1

Unfortunately an implant alone won't achieve your goals. Neither will an areolar breast lift.

If you put any suture line under stretch. Whether it is a facelift incision or an areolar incision, it will stretch over time. The key to achieving a good scar is a tensionless closure with deeper support of the tissue. In your case, a formal glanduloplasty and breast lift with the appropriate external scar. Even if that is the anchor scar.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

+1

Based upon the posted photos there is NO way to offer you an acceptable result without doing a full anchor lifting operation. seek IN PERSON evaluations from boarded PSs in your city. 

More Complete Breast Lift Needed

+1

Unfortunately you can not achieve what you want the way you want it. The only breast lift that will work for you is the one with the anchor pattern scars. No other type of breast lift, and most certainly not an areolar lift, or a breast implant will help. You have too much breast ptosis for anything but a full breast lift to work.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Donut mastopexy vs lolipop or anchor

+1

Hi,  You will not be happy with a Benelli or donut lift.  This will flatten your breasts too much and leave a lot of skin in the lower pole of the breasts.  This skin must be tightened before you can have a natural breast shape.  In addition, there will be too much distance to the elevated nipple complex and this would mean that the lolipop probably will not give you the desired result.  My suggestion is for you to think hard about the result and the scarring and see if it is a reasonable tradeoff for the perkier and more youthful breasts.  If you cannot accept the vertical scars, then do not do the lift at all.  Consult board certified plastic surgeons.  I saw a comment in another question case where the doctor said that the donut pexy and the lolipop pexy are oversold.  I agree totally with that statement.  We try to work with the patients that are afraid of the scarring (and most are) and do what is appropriate in a given patient case but in so doing, we may comprimise your best result.  Remember, your final result has your surgeon's name on it and they better be proud of it.  If that recommendation cannot be accepted, then in my practice, the patient must go elsewhere.  Remember that if you shop long enough to get your surgical approach accepted by the doctor, you will  unfortunately get it.  Get opinions from board certified plastic surgeons who do a great deal of breast surgery.  Areola spreading, bottoming, flattening of the breasts etc are all going to be part of a periarolar mastopexy in my opinion. 

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon