1 Year Post Juvederm: New Under Eye Wrinkles - Is This Common?

I never had these wrinkles before and my physician is trying to tell me they are from my reading glasses which is totally untrue. Why under one eye? I believe the juvederm stretches the skin and once it wears off leaves stretched out wrinkled tissue.

I looked so much younger a year ago I went back to the doctor and just got more injections because she thought the juvederm would fill in these wrinkled areas instead theyblook more pronounced should i get the juvederm dissolved Marie

Juvederm can restore skin

+1

Juvederm fills the skin out to where it had been before the body started to atrophy it like a grape turning into a raisin. The Juvederm is not stretching it out to a greater amount than it is supposed to be or ever had been.  Once the Juvederm dissolves, the pre Juvederm skin returns. I have never seen new wrinkles form from the use of Juvederm or Restylane. If you are unhappy, though, with the new Juvederm, it can be dissolved with hyaluronidase.

Eyelid Wrinkles Secondary to Juvederm

+1

Juvederm will improve contours, but it is not injected into the skin and will not make the skin quality  deteriorate, which does cause wrinkles. Laser treatments or a chemical peel will decrease the wrinkles.

Juvederm Will Not Stretch the Skin

+1

Juvederm are made of hyaluronic acid, a natural component of the skin that progressively decreases with age. Hyaluronic acid is the fluid matrix that provides stabilization to the intercellular spaces that contain collagen and elastic fibers. Hyaluronic acid has the capacity to bind large quantities of water and keeps the skin firm and moisturized. I do not believe it can "stretch" the skin to make wrinkles worse in the long run. I think it just postpones the inevitable!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Need more juvederm

+1

Marie, I have never seen juveredm cause wrinkling. However, if your juvederm is gone you might see some return of wrinkles that it was relieving. Might consider getting some again.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Juvederm and wrinkles

+1

It has not been my experience that Juvederm causes wrinkles.  On occasion when there is a severe swelling reaction after Juvederm.  There can be wrinkling when the swelling reolves.  This is rare.  If you feel the Juvederm is not what you expected you should contact the treating physician and have it removed.  You should return to where you were pre-treatment.  However, there is always continued sun damage going on so there may be progression separate from Juvederm treatment

Guy Massry, MD

Juvederm does not stretch the skin to cause wrinkles

+1

Juvederm does not stretch the skin to cause wrinkles.  It does fill wrinkles, however.  Once the Juvederm is dissolved, the skin goes back to the place where it would be if nothing was done to it.  That means if there is continuing sun damage or smoking, the wrinkling will worsen over time.

This is particularly true on the left side of the face, which faces the driver side car window.  Ultraviolet A light gets through the car window easily and does continuous damage to the skin.

It would be helpful to see before and after photos:  before the original injections, after the original infections, before the latest injections and after them.

If you are unhappy with the results of the latest Juvederm injection, it can be dissolved with hyaluronidase.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon