What New Tools Are Doctors Now Using for Radix Reductions?

nose rhinoplasty tools

Radix reduction

+2

If your question is a technical one, at this time I primarily use a powered burr or sander type of tool to precisely lower this area. It still remains a challenging step as I have seen many patients develop soft tissue thickening in this area which limits the result even when a lot of bone is lowered.

West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reducing the radix in rhinoplasty can be essential!

+2

Excellent question! I often recommend radix reduction to my patients. This allows for a smooth transition between the forehead and root of the nose. It also brings the eyes into focus and beautiful harmony along with the rhinoplasty. When the radix is shallow or too full, and it is not addressed , you can end up with a very "typical" nosejob look where the forehead and nose just look like one structure. The best tool is simply "experience"! The actual tools are either a specifically designed rasp that curves , or a high speed burr (sanding type tool). Both in the right hands and when indicated can create a smooth look while deepening the radix. Below is a video  example of a patient who had radix and bridge reduction along with major tip repositioning and reshaping.

Ashkan Ghavami, MD

Bring down a high bridge

+1

Shaving down a high radix correctly takes a lot of artistic skill and experience.  We use osteotomes and rasps and to take down the bone and cartilage to shape the new nose

How to reduce the radix

+1

There are no "new" techniques to reduce the radix. Basically, the bone in the area con be brought down using either an osteotome (to cut the bone) or a rasp to sand it down. There are hand rasps and powered rasps. In addition, the soft tissue in the area can also be worked on. The procerus muscle can be removed during surgery. Steroid injections can also be used to bring swelling down after surgery.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Methods For Radix Reduction In Rhinoplasty

+1

There are specially designed rasps and osteotomes as well as guarded powered burring techniques. None of these are new and both can work well based on the experience of the surgeon.  I have used both but find that rasps and a percutaneous small osteotome technique works very well and I find no advantage for the powered burring method.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

New tool to reduce radix

+1

Many thanks for a good question. The safe instrument that I use for past quite some time is a specially designed reversed cutting rasp that you can imagine like a small cylinder at the tip of  instrument that you continue to file until on palpation you feel happy with the shape. Those who use power burr or drill must be very brave or highly experience to do so.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Radix reduction

+1

It is not uncommon to lower the radix at the time of rhinoplasty. There s a special file with a reverse curve in it are specifically for this purpose. I see no need to use a power tool to accomplish it.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Treatment of the radix area

+1

When ever I perform modifications of the bony portion of the nose I like to use a power drill with an oval burr.  This allows for precision in this area.  It also leads to a smooth result.  

Radix reduction is actually uncommon

+1
There are a few who have a high radix (nasal bones between the eyes), but radix reduction is actually uncommon. When this step is required, the rhinoplasty is more challenging in order to keep the bridge smooth and reduce scar in this soft area. There are 'tools' such as burrs to shape the radix, and of course special osteotomes and rasps, nothing particularly new however. For most though, the radix is best left alone.

Tools for radix reduction.

+1

You should not be concerned with how a surgeon does what he does but rather the results he has achieved over a long experience. In 35 years of doing this the tools are not different. Also if the radix is reduced too much the rest of the nose will look too big.