Belly Button Swelling After Exercising, 1 Months Post-Op Tummy Tuck, Normal?

I am 1 mnth post tt and was plodding happily along recovery road til 5 days ago when I walked on treadmill for 30 mins with grad 4.5. By the end I was not in pain but in more discomfort than I expected. I have since noticed bruising around my bb which may have been there since the op but I don't think so. I swelled up so have been resting as much as I can (and no exercise!) Some of the swelling has gone down but I still have swollen area above bb. Will it resolve itself? If not, what is remedy?

Swelling after exercise following a tummy tuck

+3

Swelling following exercising is a common phenomenon in the relatively early postoperative period for an abdominoplasty. This may be present on and off for the first several months but decreasing in the degree over time. Eventually, this temporary swelling should no longer occur - possibly by 6 months to a year.

Post Tummy Tuck Swelling

+2

It is normal to have some swelling after a tummy tuck.  The majority of the swelling is usually gone by 8 weeks post-op, but it will often take 6 months for all of the swelling to subside.  A more sudden change in abdominal swelling could indicate a fluid collection that will need to be drained.  If the increased swelling doesn't subside within a few days, you should see your Plastic Surgeon.

Robert Wilke, MD
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after tummy tuck

+2

Swelling after a tummy tuck is common and may take up to 6 months to totally resolve.  You should have your plastic surgeon evaluate you to make sure you do not have a fluid collection that may need treatment.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Tummy tuck swelling

+2

I would not be surprised if you have developed a localized fluid collection above your belly button (seroma). You should see your surgeon to rule this out–treatment is a simple aspiration of the fluid.

Otherwise, you will find that swelling will come and go during recovery period. The amount of swelling may change depending on your activity level. In my experience, most patients turn the corner at about 2 months post-op.

Swelling with exercise after tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to notice swelling after exercise so soon after a tummy tuck.

Be sure to consult your plastic surgeon for advice. In the meantime I would reduce your exercise until you have been cleared by your plastic surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Swelling postoperatively

+1

I would recommend you return to your plastic surgeon. It may be many things, and the surgeon is the best one to diagnose the problem.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Exercise and swelling after a tummy tuck

+1

Swelling after a tummy tuck can last for several months.  Exercising one month after surgery can lead to a temporary increase in swelling.  Most likely, the swelling will resolve on its own.  If the increased area in swelling persists or becomes uncomfortable, you should speak with your surgeon.  A localized area of swelling can actually be a collection of fluid under your skin called a seroma.  Such fluid collections need to be drained in the office to prevent any long term complications.  

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Swelling after Tummy Tuck

+1
Dear S and H, It can take three to six months for swelling to subside after a tummy tuck. Activity can create more swelling, but that is not a good reason to avoid excercise. People with more subcutaneous fat tend to swell more than those that are thin. Your swelling is probably normal, but if it becomes extreme or is uncomfortable check with your surgeon to make sure you do not have a seroma.

Mary Lee Peters, MD