Will a new sexual partner notice that you had labiaplasty?

I've seen tons of photos of the procedure and the scars don't seem to be very visible, but will the scars feel diferent than the rest of the tissues? Also can they be visible with close inspection? And which technique is best to leave the least notable scar? I've read here that the wedge technique hides the scar better, but in the pictures i've seen of the trim method i couldn't really notice the scar

Labiaplasty-scars should not be noticeable

+1
I would say it is very unlikely that a sexual partner will know, even if he/she is a plastic surgeon him or herself if you have had labiaplasty surgery.

Healing along the inner labia tissue is somewhat similar to the inside of the mouth, which rarely leaves noticable scars. My personal experience is that this surgery is well tolerated and healing is excellent when given adequate time.

Make sure to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what may be best for you.

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Are scars visible with labiaplasty

+1
Scars from labiaplasty heal very well.  I also roll the incision line to the inner edge of the labia in order to hide it even better.  You can see in before and after photos how natural labiaplasty.  In general, I would recommend going to a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in labiaplasty surgery.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Labiaplasty noticeable to new sex partner?

+1
Highly unlikely that a "new" sex partner will know, even if he/she is a plastic surgeon him or herself.  Because the inner labia tissue is somewhat similar to the inside of the mouth, it too heals nearly inconspicuous scars.  My personal experience and thus opinion is that the Trim method does indeed leave less visible scars because the scar is concealed within the edge of the labia which is relatively irregular/ropey/corrugated normally.  Whereas the Wedge technique leaves a scar traversing perpindicularly right through the middle of the new labia.  Glad to help.   

Ryan Stanton, MD

Is labiaplasty noticeable?

+1
Thank you for your question, which is a frequently asked one in my practice.  Labiaplasty techniques vary but the placement of the scars are usually such that only someone who is very experienced with the female anatomy (such as a plastic surgeon or OB/Gyn) would notice on close inspection.  Patient satisfaction with this procedure in my practice is very high and patients often report improved sex lives after surgery.  This is, of course, in part due to boosted self confidence.  I've had patients who were too embarrassed to have sex for years before they underwent labiaplasty. 
It's important that you consult with an experienced plastic surgeon to get the results you desire. 
All the best to you.

Ruth Celestin, M.D.

Ruth Celestin, MD

Scarring after labioplasty

+1
The position of the scar really depends on the type of labiaplasty procedure that you have. Historically they used to just trim the excess labia off and sew this so that the scar was on the front of the labia. The wedge technique allows for the scar to be going inwards towards the vaginal opening as well as towards the outer fold of the labia.  The scars become very well hidden and concealed.  In addition part of the scar is on a mucosal surface. These tend to heal very very well.  I would seek the plastic surgeon who does for a number of labioplasty procedures for a consultation of what your options are

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Most people won't even know...

+1
what you had done unless your results are less then what I would expect from this procedure.  Most of the complaints on this site result from the trim technique where the edge is deformed and excesses remain at the top (near clitoral hood) and bottom (perineum).  From what I have read here, those also seem to come apart more often and have a greater risk for scar contractures.  Someone would really have to be up close with great lighting and understanding of the anatomy to appreciate the subtle changes that come from a labiaplasty procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD