Pain Pumps for Pain Control After a Tummy Tuck?

Is it common practice to use "pain pumps" for pain control after a tummy tuck? How well does it assist with pain control?

Pain pumps for pain control after tummy tuck

+2

Pain pumps are now very commonly used after tummy tucks.

They deliver a controlled, foolproof amount of local anesthetic (numbing medicine) directly into the area of fascial tightening.  There are no buttons to press.  The medicine is delivered over a period of three days, after which time most patients start to wean off their pain medication.  

Good pain control is not only good for patient comfort; it also prevents splinting and collapse of segments of the lung after surgery, and enables the patient to walk better.  Win-win.

Web reference: http://drbrent.com/signature/hybrid-tummy-tuck/

+2

These pumps deliver a slow and steady amount of bupivicaine, a local anesthetic, and some feel that it reduces post op pain med requirements. 

I never used them for years, started a year ago, and have stopped as I found little need and no general improvement. 

An alternative to the pump is infection with Exparel, another technology to deliver bupivicaine, which is injected during surgery, lasts 3 days, like the pumps, and is much simpler on the surgeon and patient. I have used it a number of times, but not enough to note any significant difference in pain yet. 

Discuss with your surgeon. But pain management though important is a sideshow--choose your surgeon based on expected outcome. Thanks for your question, all the best. 

Pain pumps effective with Tummy tuck surgery

+2

We have used the On-Q pain pumps for nearly a decade on tummy tuck surgeries with excellent pain control. Recently, we have begun using Exparel- a long acting numbing medicine with good results as well.

Pain Control for Tummy Tucks

+2

I do not use the pain pump in my practice.  I have never seen the need.   Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Pain control for tummy tuck

+2

An On Q pain pump is a tiny catheter that drips a local anesthetic (numbing medicine) into your surgical site to help minimize your postoperative pain.  The experience with On-Q pain pumps have been mixed.  Some of my colleagues love using them while others have not been pleased with the results.I have been using Naropin for nerve blocks to numb out the muscle tightening from a tummy tuck.  The numbing effects can last up to 24 hours.  More recently, I've started using a new FDA medication called Exparel.  This is a slow release marcaine (numbing medicine) that can last up to 3-4 days.   Please talk to your PS about these different options.

Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Pain Control After a Tummy Tuck

+1

We use pain pumps for pain control after tummy tucks. This is similar to having a long acting Novocain after dental surgery. This medication is slowly administered through the body for up to three days; controlling the problem for a long period of time.

Recently, we have begun to utilize an alternative medication, Exparel. This long lasting anesthetic is injected directly into the tissue and has the same longevity as a pain pump --minus the annoyance of a "pump". Patients have been very pleased and comfortable with the pain control with this new medication. All the best -- Dr. Cohen

Pain pumps after tummy tuck.

+1

I like to use the passive pain pumps (Go pump, On-Q) for tummy tucks. They are not a stand alone solution to the abdominal pain, but I believe that patients do get some relief in the early postoperative period.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Pain pumps after abdominoplasty

+1

Hello, Pain pumps are a part of "mainstream" management including after tummy tuck. However their effectiveness varies depending on which research study you might read. Pumps will reduce rather than eliminate pain and you can get powerful pain relief from careful injection of the "ab" muscles at the time of surgery - this gives good relief for 12-15 hours without a tube from your tummy to the external pump. Of course 12-15 hours is still short so like many things there is a trade-off. Generally, I can get very good pain control without these devices so I don't routinely use them - but I wouldn't criticise those who do.

The attached link might be of interest. 

Best Wishes

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Pain pumps or Exparel with tummy tucks

+1

"Pain pumps" such as the On-Q system have been in use for several years with tummy tucks and are very helpful. They infuse a numbing solution into the surgical area through tiny catheters over about 3 days. A newer alternative is Exparel, a slow-release numbing agent that does not require the catheter or reservoir bulb.

Pain pumps

+1

Pain pumps are used by many surgeons and work well. There are many ways for a surgeon to help reduce post operative pain for their patients. Exparel is a new medication you can ask your surgeon about as well.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/html/tummytuck-procedure.html