Can I have phosphatidylcholine injections for under eye bags? (photos)

I have read about using phosphatidylcholine injections rather than surgery to dissolve fat under eyes. Is this a relatively new procedure? Is it safe? How effective is it? Would it work for small bags like mine? What kind of surgeon would I seek out for this treatment? Do many surgeons perform this procedure? Cost?

Phosphatidylcholine Injections

+1
Thank you for posting your photos.

We would not recommend phosphatidylcholine injections as they have not been shown to be a particularly successful treatment.  You may benefit from dermal filler injections, using a product such as Restylane.  If you feel you need further correction after fillers, you may want to consider surgical blepharoplasty.

Tucson Dermatologic Surgeon

+1
Never!
You will benefit from injecting fillers under your eyelids to support them. Despite the filler injections, if the fat persists then you can consider surgery

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Can I have phosphatidylcholine injections for under eye bags?

+1
NO!!!! Very bad idea. Plus you will not found a reputable boarded PS doing this voodoo medical treatment.. Nice try though... 

Phosphatidylcholine injections

+1
Thank you for your picture. I would not have those injections. They're not FDA approved and can be harmful.  You may benefit from a transconjunctival blepharoplasty to remove your small amount of fat.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Injections for under eye bags

+1
I agree with Dr. Schlessinger. I would not visit a doctor that is doing this. See a good dermatologist or a plastic surgeon that is experienced with injectable fillers. They will give you some other options. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

I do not recommend the use of phosphatidylcholine to dissolve lower eyelid bags.

+1
Phosphatidylcholine and deoxycholate are both effective in the dissolving localized fat deposits in many areas of the body. The lower eyelids in my opinion is not a great place to use this treatment because of its unpredictability and possible complications. Occasionally people will develop lumps, fat necrosis, prolonged inflammation, swelling and other symptoms 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

This is not an approved medicine and can cause serious issues!

+1
Phospatidylcholine is NOT an approved medication and has been associated with some serious issues due to the improper formulation of it.  Additionally, the concept of taking out the fat under the eyes has changed dramatically in the past 10 years and we now think of it as a good thing rather than a bad thing.  Anyone who is telling you that they will do this procedure is also concerning as they are doing something that is not FDA approved.  Glad you asked!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist