How long will it take for the scabbing behind my ears to go? I'm 28 days post op lower face lift/neck lift.

28 days po lower face/neck lift healing slow lots of bruising and swelling. Seeing ps reg. Presurg, wash hair every 3rd day, do not have oily hair . Stopped using the Johnson's bs -it was irritating scalp (not incisions). Using Aveeno bs . Is it best to wash my hair every day to rid of scabs behind my ears or let them alone. Was using neospor, burned and irritated the incisions, so I stopped . Ps said ok to leave dry. Slow to heal/fall off but they do not hurt. Anything else I should be doing?

Allow the surgical wounds to heal

+2
Allow the surgical wounds to heal.  A scab should not be picked off.  Moisture is your friend.  We recommend that if a patient has a scab, that they clean it with soap and water well, then apply vaseline or a simple ointment to keep the area protected and moist.

Caring for scabs after face lift

+2
Every plastic surgeon does things differently.

However research shows that wounds heal faster if they are kept slightly moist.
Ask your surgeon if you can wash gently behind both ears - no soap - 2 x day and then apply a light coating of Aquaphor (a water based ointment similar to Vaseline.)

This allows scabs that are healed to separate and hastens the healing of those that are still healing. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Scabs

+1
this can take a while, this is the area with the highest tension and the least blood supply after a face lift. It wil heal with time.

Lawrence Scott Ennis, MD, FACS
Pensacola Plastic Surgeon

Rate of healing varies between patients

+1
Everyone heals at a different rate. The scabs behind the ears eventually resolve all by themselves. See your doctor weekly for check-ups.

Good luck.

Robert M. Freund, MD

+1
At this point, I would keep the area clean, and dry.  Let the scabs dry up, and they will fall off.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon so that he can monitor your healing.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD