6 Months Post-op, Will my Swelling Continue to Go Down?

I had my rhinoplasty at the beginning of May, and it is now almost the beginning of November. I had a significantly over-projected tip and a badly deviated septum. The bridge of my nose was also made a bit smaller. 6 months after surgery, my breathing feels the same. Does this mean my septum was not straightened out? Also, the tip of my nose still looks very swollen to me. Will this get any better after 6 more months? Also, I have not spoken with my dr. since the surgery. Is this normal?

Rhinoplasty surgery recovery

+1

Dear caromichelle,

• It would be a good idea to call your doctor for a follow up
  • Only he/she know what the did and can help guide you
  • I would start there and see where it goes

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Swelling Post-Op Rhinoplasty

+1

You should always have close follow-up with your physician after surgery as there are potential remedies to help with swelling after surgery.  Swelling of your tip 6 months after surgery is very likely particularly if you your tip was de-projected.  If you imagine, the underlying framework of your nose was likely reduced in size so it takes time for the overlying skin and tissue to contract to its new shape.  Swelling, in general, decreases from the top of the nose to bottom so the tip is the last place you will notice decreased swelling.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Appropriate follow up after rhinoplasty

+1

It's extremely unusual that you haven't spoken to/followed up with your surgeon since surgery.  Routine follow up is important after any surgery, and particularly septorhinoplasty, to ensure proper healing.  Your tip will continue to become smaller as it heals for a full year after surgery.  In terms of the breathing issues it's best to have your surgeon examine you in person and determine the etiology.

Donald B. Yoo, MD