Open Incision 3 Weeks After Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I had a BA done 3 weeks ago and I slipped 10 days postop and slightly opened my crease incision. I quickly saw my PS an he put me on antibiotics and said to go see him again in 5 days. I went back and he said it opened more and there was a stitch from the second layer of stitches showing through so he took it out. He told me to wait another 5 days to see if it looks like it'll heal. There is no infection and he said the implant is not exposed at this point. It just doesn't seem like its closing.

Open incision three weeks after surgery

+1

I can not tell from the photos what is going on. If the implants are not exposed and the suture line is not under tension it should heal.

Open BA incision

+1

In my opinion this should be closed as soon as possible.  The edges will have to be excised first and the wound explored and cleaned but this is still a minor procedure. 

Andrew Stewart, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

See your PS

+1

This is cause for concern.  You should follow the recommendation of your PS as it is difficult to get a complete assessment from photos alone.  He/she may have to "re-do" the incision after "cleaning" the wound to make sure it heals without implant exposure.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Open Incision After Augmentation

+1

I appreciate your concern.  Your plastic surgeon is best equipped to evaluate your incision and to make recommendations to you concerning your treatment.  Photos do not allow us to adequately assess the tissue and the likelihood of exposure of the implant.  I suggest you follow your doctor's advice

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Seems like the wound should be explored

+1

Thank you for the photo.  Wounds want to heal unless there is something there that prevents it from doing so.  With that said I am inclined to recommend that the wound be opened and explored.  If there is anything in there that needs to be cleaned out it can be done.  Since the implant is close to that wound I would hate to see you get an implant infection.  The wound can be cleaned out and re-sutured under local anesthesia.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Open Incision 3 Weeks After Breast Augmentation

+1

Thanks for adding the photo. If this has not improved over 10 days, it might be better for your surgeon to first reevaluate and assure that the implant is not exposed, and then to consider "exploring" the incision under local anesthesia with the plan to trim the edges and then reclose. 

Don't worry about seeming pushy--your concerns are completely appropriate.

Thanks and best wishes.