Am I Okay for Lipo? Age 20, 192LBS, 5'10". (photo)

I am 20 years old and I weigh 192 pounds. I am 5'10". I have worked hard to try and lose my weight from having my son. He is about to turn 3, so for almost 3 years, I have been dieting and exercising to try and lose weight. I also have a thyroid condition that, according to my doctor, is making my weight loss more difficult. I feel hopeless. Would I be okay to have liposuction done?

Lipo at 20 after preganacy and thyroid condition

+1

Diet and exercize is #1 which you have already done. The next invasive procedure is lipo which seems like a reasonable way to go if you do not have enough skin to resect and have good skin quality with localized fat. In your case I suspect ypour abdomen is loose after pregnancy and a physical exam is needed to know if the fat in inside your abdomen (around your intestines) or under the skin. Lipo will only help if the fat is under the skin AND if the skin quality has good elastic properties to retract and tighten after the procedure. Also importantto make sure your medical history is cleared and your thyroid condition is appropriately managed. See a board certified plastic surgeon.

Liposuction Candidate

+1

The loose skin on your abdomen will not be improved with liposuction and will need a tummy tuck at some point.  However, the belly can be reduced extensively with liposuction.  Liposuction can contour your flanks and back if you want.  If you are not finished having children, the tummy tuck can be performed later.  If you are finished with children, the tummy tuck with liposuction can be performed.   Look for a board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE CREDENTIALS who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lipo candidate

+1

While you may be a good candidate for liposuction, a physical exam is in order to get you the best recommendation.  Your skin appears somewhat lax, and lipo will not improve that.  Additionally, I would want to evaluate your underlying muscles- pregnancy can stretch out the tissue between muscles, producing what is called a diastasis which can add to the lower abdominal bulge.  This issue, as well as the extra skin of the abdomen, are best treated with abdominoplasty (Tummy tuck).  You should see a plastic surgeon to get an evaluation- either way improvements can be made!

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction after dieting and exercise

+1

You are a good candidate for liposuction. Your inability to lose weight with diet and exercise would br great reasons to consider this.  However, I should point out that your skin demonstrates a lot of loose skin and stretch marks which will not contract or shrink after liposuction alone.  If you are done having children, you would be a better candidate for a tummy tuck, which will take care of extra loose skin as well as the stretch marks. Possible muscle tightening and liposuction will provide additional definition.  Good luck

Robert Morgan Davoudi, MD

Liposuction after pregnancy

+1

Thank you for your question about liposuction. Sorry things are so hard. Yes it is ok to have liposuction. Additional thoughts -- hope these help.

• See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon - your photo suggests you might want to consider a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) as well.
  • For your thyroid, if you lack pep, ask your doctor about Cytomel as well as Synthroid, and see a Board Certified Endocrinologist.
  • Have your OB-GYN check you for polycystic ovaries - common with low thyroid. Birth control pills control the cysts and help with weight loss.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Am I Okay for Lipo? Age 20, 192LBS, 5'10".

+1

Yes, 4 liter of liposuction would be acceptable in your case. seek IN PERSON evaluations with boarded PSs in your city. 

Liposuction candidate?

+1

You are probably not the best candidate for liposuction. Your skin looks loose and liposuction will make it looser.  You may be a better candidate for a tummy tuck. I would wait until you stop having kids.