TT in 10 Days Can I Take Zicam? Afraid I May Be Getting a Cold.

Im having a TT in 10 days and I've been having post nasal drip. I'm afraid of getting a cold, can I take zicam 10 days before a TT? The ingredients in Zicam are Zincum Aceticum 2x, Zincum Gluconicum 1x.

Taking Zicam preoperatively

You should contact your plastic surgeon to discuss any medication use prior to surgery. If the cold persists or is the beginning of a more serious virus, then you may need to postpone the surgery. Best of luck.

Can I take Zicam before surgery?

Yes, Zicam is a form of zinc which actually aids in immune reaction and healing.  You need to beat this cold quickly anyway in order to have the surgery on the scheduled date, with the added benefit of energizing your immune system with the Zicam. Good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Medications Before Surgery

While the medication you are considering is most likely OK, you should always discuss with your plastic surgeon's office if you are thinking about taking any medication, supplement, herbal compound, etc. before your surgery.  These are the questions your doctor is happy to address.

Just two days ago, we had to cancel a case because the patient took a medication without reviewing her pre-op "Do's and Don'ts" information or calling our office. Safety first. 

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

TT in 10 Days Can I Take Zicam?

That is probably OK, but don't take anything until you clear it with your own surgeon. He/she is the one in charge.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

I am sorry to hear about your concerns prior to your day of surgery. Generally speaking, patients undergoing elective surgery should be at their optimal (or close to) level of health prior to proceeding. It is especially important that there be no compromise of pulmonary function or active source of infection present.
Your plastic surgeon will be the only relevant resource when it comes to determining what medications you can take prior to surgery and your ability to proceed at this time.