Can I Get Targeted Treatment for the One Brown Age Spot Under my Eye or Do I Have to Do my Entire Face Which is Clear?

IPL

+1

Depending upon the office that you go to, there should be no problem if you want one specific spot treated versus having the entire face treated with IPL.

Target Spots

+1

You can absolutely target one specific spot.  So what should you do if you have brown spots? First, prevention! Keep your skin healthy and protected with a good sunscreen. Second, treat the spots. Age spots can be lightened or even removed with special in-office treatments. I have also developed topical skin care products which you can use at home to help reduce the appearance of brown spots.  I’ve developed a special regimen for brown spots using these products specifically for the in-home treatment of brown, age and sun spots. For more pervasive brown spots, a visit to the office for laser treatments will help eliminate these spots.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

IPL to only one spot

+1

It depends on the office, as well as what the "brown age spot" actually is. Sometimes it's best to treat specific spots with liquid nitrogen to literally freeze the tiny spots off in a treatment or two. This is best done for pre-cancerous spots like AKs, as well as some SKs. If it's more of just a pigment irregularity, you can treat a specific area of concern with an IPL rather than a full face treatment. It's often called "flashes" or "pulses" in the industry. We do a lot of both types of treatments, but it will depend on the office you go to. Make sure you always have laser treatments done by offices with a physician actively involved in your care.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

IPL (intense pulsed light) photofacial treatments for facial brown spots can be for many spots or just one.

+1

9510anon,

Some doctors do or are able to use IPL devices to treat single spots, and others don't, or aren't able to. You will have to ask your own dermatologist or plastic surgeon if he or she is able to do single spot treatment, and what the costs and number of visits would be for that, vs. full face treatment. IPL works very well in the right situations to help draw pigment out from underneath the top layer of the skin to even out skin color and leave a nice clean "palette". It also helps to reduce facial background redness. Some call it a "photofacial".

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Alexandrite laser is perfect for treating individual brown spots.

+1

The Alexandrite laser works very well for treating specific brown spots. After the treatment you can expect the brown spots to turn a little darker. Depending on the location, the brown spot will flake off over a 1-3 week period. Most often only one treatment is needed but occassionally a second treatment may be required.

Sue Ellen Cox, MD
Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon