6 months post-op Rhinoplasty I have developed Pollybeak deformity. Can this be corrected by trimming the hump? (photo)

I had rhinoplasty 6 months back to correct droopy tip and to reduce the size of nose. It looks like I have developed pollybeak deformity. I can definitely feel some bump in middle third of nose. First icture was taken a week after operation and nose in profile is quite straight. Second picture was taken recently which shows the crooked nose. Can this be corrected via trimming of hump (septal cartilage ?) in middle part of nose without correcting tip ?

Secondary rhinoplasty

+2
You do have a poly beak type deformity that may be due to an under resection of the dorsal septal cartilage.  A revision will be necessary to correct this defect.  If you like the tip then it can be left undisturbed.  I would wait at least another 6 months before you consider a secondary rhinoplasty.  

Pollybeak Nasal Deformity

+2
You do have a pollybeak deformity which is typically treated by reducing the hump as you suggested and increasing the definition and projection of your tip. Unfortunately a revision will be necessary to correct these problems but I recommend that you wait about a year after the original surgery, especially in a patient like you with thicker skin.

Pollybeak deformity

+2
You should see your surgeon as they would be the best to guide you as to the options at this point.  Oftentimes the tip will need to be supported to improve the droopy tip which has resulted in your hump.  It is not merely a only a matter of removing more hump in most cases but rather a combination of hump reduction and tip support.   

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pollybeak

+2
Sarvar, based solely on your photos it does indeed look like you have a classic Pollybeak.  Typically in my office we address this by using a combination of steroid injections and aggressive taping.  If after year this is not successful in reversing this problem then excision of the excess scar tissue is in order.  This should be followed in somebody with a history of Pollybeak deformity with proactive injections and taping after surgery.  Hopefully this helps, good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

A revision rhinoplasty for a Pollybeak deformity almost always involves tip work...

+1
The pictures you have shown illustrate something that has happened to almost every rhinoplasty surgeon at one time or another. The surgeon may have thought that there was good tip support during surgery because of your initial result, but over time, the heaviness of the skin and lack of support of the tip caused the nose to droop. I suspect that simply trimming the "bump" won't work well because the skin will not contract down enough to allow the pollybeak to disappear. If you are willing to undergo another procedure to improve the "hump" then it is certainly not any more difficult to improve the tip structure at the same time with some cartilage support. You should be a lot happier with that result.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Re: Polybeak deformity

+1

Thank you for your question, and attached image.

I concur with your concern that you have developed a poly beak deformity. 
This is a problem that is better to avoid than to need to correct. 

The correction, if it does not improve over the next several months, can be a reduction of scar tissue or residual dorsal cartilage.  Also in some cases, it requires steps to enhance your tip support/tip elevation. 

Thank you,

S.P. Maggi, MD, FACS
drmaggi.com
Austin Plastic Surgery Center 

Sergio P. Maggi, MD

Pollybeak Deformity

+1
Hi,

From the pics you sent, it looks like there was little or no support in the tip. The tip drooped revealing the caudal septum and thus the pollybeak. The right way to fix this is to resupport the tip through an open rhinplasty.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

6 months post-op Rhinoplasty I have developed Pollybeak deformity. Can this be corrected by trimming the hump?

+1
Yes revision hump surgery is indicated as my over the internet opinion. But always better to obtain in person second opinions. 

Drooping Tip

+1
It appears that you do indeed have a pollybeak deformity following your rhinoplasty. This is most likely due to loss of tip support however a contributing factor can be buildup of scar tissue. Your photo supports that the primary reason for your problem is that the tip has dropped. A revision rhinoplasty will likely be necessary and should be directed at elevating the tip and  creating strong tip support to avoid recurrence of the problem. 

Bryan W. Rubach, MD
Aurora Facial Plastic Surgeon

Polly beak deformity

+1
You do have a polly beak based upon your most recent photos. You will need a revision and will have to wait a full year forms surgery before undergoing a revision. Best of luck.