Do You Loose 1 or 2 Dress Size After Tummy Tuck?

The reason for my question is the pics Ive seen, most look so little after TT. Or is it also that they are exercising after

+4

This is very hard to predict without pictures and without knowing what your surgeon has planned.  Liposuction of the flanks and back can make a big difference as well.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Dress Size After Tummy Tuck #tummytuck

+2

I think you should re-direct your focus. I would not focus on how many dress sizes you will drop because it just depends on what you are starting with and what your goals are. A tummy tuck in only an adjunct to exercise and diet. I like patients to maximize their diet and exercise and then the tummy tuck is to help re-shape and re-contour the body. It won't necessarily drop dress sizes rather it will re-contour your abdomen to make it much better than before surgery. I don't see abdominoplasty surgery as an operation that changes clothing. Certainly the hope is you will be able to wear things you could not wear prior to surgery. I would just urge you do refocus the way you are thinking about how this will affect your body. You will have a great result and feel great about your body after surgery and that is what you should be considering.  

Richard J. Brown, MD

Do you lose 1 or 2 dress sizes with a TT?

+2

The purpose of a TT is to correct the extra skin in the abdomen and provide a flatter abdomen. The results can be quite spectacular but they vary from patient to patient. You need to be examined by a Board Certified PS to get a sense of reasonable expectations.

George Lefkovits, MD

Dress Size after Tummy Tuck

+1
It's not accurate to use dress size change as a way to measure your results after a tummy tuck.  You will lose the bulk of your abdomen and will possibly have a reduction in your waist.  I would instead recommend you look at overall tightness, firming, and contour changes rather than looking for a certain dress size.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

+1

This depends on the patient and their deformities. Some patients will see no change in their size while others may go down several sizes. If the patient has a large amount of fat to be removed then there will be a significant change. 

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Dress Size and Tummy Tuck

+1

Dress size change will depend on whether the area that is reduced by your tummy tuck is the tightest area for you to fit when you put on your clothes.  A tummy tuck that reduces loose skin above your pubic area is not going to change your waist-line.

Many people do lose weight after tummy tuck surgery, as the improvements gained through surgery can motivate you to make lifestyle improvements that allow you to lose weight.  

Photos can also be taken at different distances, which can deceptively make someone look different in size.

Michael Kreidstein, MD

Predictions about clothing are difficult to make

+1

Hi sansan01.  It is very hard to predict changes in dress sizes without seeing pictures of you.  However, many of my patients do enjoy a reduction in several dress sizes after tummy tucks.  It is best to ask your plastic surgeon this question. Good luck.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Can go down several dress sizes after tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

Of course it depends on your anatomy.  But if you have a stomach that sticks out and otherwise you are not big, the result of tummy tuck can be quite dramatic.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)