I had upper and lower Blepharoplasty (with fat repositioning) 3 weeks ago. Still quite bruised with swelling. (photo)

3 weeks ago I had and upper and lower blepharoplasty (with fat repositioning ). I still have dark brushing and swelling under both eyes. Concealer doesn't really cover it well because of the dark purple bruises. I've been taking arnica 3 times daily since my surgery and it isn't really doing much. Is this normal at this stage? Is there anything else I can do to speed up the healing process ?

Bruising after blepharoplasties

+2
  • Eyelid swelling can definitely last 3 weeks or longer,
  • Yes, warm compresses, very gentle massage and IPL can help,
  • Or just make-up - Dermablend is best at covering bruises. It is sold at Macy's and on line.
  • Arnica in my experience does not help after surgery. Best wishes.

Not every bruise got the memo not to show up.

+2
That bruise can persist for 4 weeks, and even longer.  However, they do eventually fade.  So I agree, you are doing well.  And yes, IPL can help remove the bruise.

Eyelid bruising after blepharoplasty

+2
You look like you are healing well - just have some stubborn bruises.  I would recommend warm compresses to the lower lids which can help speed up the resolution.  Also, you could ask your surgeon if they have an IPL or pulsed dye laser.  Treatment with either of these has been shown to help with bruising.  With time it will all resolve!   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon