How Soon After a Tummy Tuck Can U Drive a Manual Car( Stick Shift)?

I have a Toyota corolla car and its manual

+2

You will get many different answers from many different surgeons. I would follow my PS's advice. I usually let patients drive soon after surgery but would wait a couple of weeks for a stick shift. I worry that you could pull on your internal suture line.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Driving Stick Shift

+2

Hello and thank you for your question.

I usually tell my patients that the healing process takes 4-6 weeks and they can resume normal activity at that time. That being said, you really should speak to your surgeon regarding specific questions you have.

Good luck to you.

David Cangello, MD

Driving after Tummy Tuck

+2

You should be off of your narcotic medications and feel comfortable enough about making an emergency braking maneuver. That is typically aroung 2 weeks post-op. Manuel cars require more muscular effort and probably require 3 weeks away. This however is variable and you should check with your surgeon.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Driving After Tummy Tuck

+2

After you recovered from the anesthesia which is approximately 24 to 48 hours, we allow driving and light physical activities at patient’s tolerance.  We don’t usually use the drains after tummy tuck and most of the patients feel fairly comfortable soon after the surgery to work from home, drive and perform light home chores.  You should ask your surgeon about their postoperative instructions.

Alexander Golger, MD

Return to driving a standard transmission after abdominoplasty on your surgeon says it's okay.

+2

I would permit my patients to drive a standard transmission as soon as they felt comfortable doing so in my own practice. Your particular situation is the province of your own surgeon.

How soon after tummy tuck can you drive a manual car?

+1
Thank you for the question! Certainly, discuss this with your plastic surgeon, as answers will vary among surgeons. I typically say that whenever you are not taking narcotic pain medications and when you feel like you are strong enough to turn the steering wheel suddenly if needed, then you may resume driving. If you meet those requirements, take short trips around your block with somebody and see how you do. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

+1

It would be best to address specific questions regarding your recovery with your operating surgeon since he/she knows you and the planned procedure ( and is responsible for all aspects of your care). My routine may not be applicable to you and could potentially be  confusing. Having said that, most patients ( assuming they are off “mind altering” medications and can respond to an emergency quickly) are able to drive 2 to 3 weeks after tummy tuck surgery.  Best wishes.

Driving after an abdominoplasty

+1

Driving after surgery requires that you be off of pain medication and feel comfortable making the motions required for driving.  In general this may take 7 to 10 days.