Forehead Spasm After Mini Face Lift & Upper Lower Bleph?

I just had a mini facelift and upper and lower bleph. three weeks ago. Yesterday morning I woke up, went upstairs to wash my face and when I touched the washcloth to my forehead, my forehead reacted, suddenly spasming upwards and I couldn't control it. It only lasted 8 seconds but I wanted to know what that could have been. Nothing else has happened before or since. Could it just be an anomaly or is there some reason?

Forehead spasm after facelift is unusual and temporary

+3

Thank you for your question. As others have explained it is likely due to stretching and irritation of the frontal branch of your facial nerve. Fortunately you do not have weakness which would be a serious problem.

It sounds as though it was temporary and should not recur.

Be sure to notify your surgeon.

+2

After any facial procedure, during the healing period, you may have some abnormal contractions of muscles; as long as they are not persistent, they can be ignored, but if the condition becomes persistent, a specialist needs to be seen and it may be treated with simple procedures like Botox, but it is very unlikely for this type of symptoms to be permanent.

S. Ozan Sozer, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

+2

Dear uwilldk,

Thank you for your question.  The facial nerve that transmits signals to the forehead muscles tends to be a little stretched right after a face lift.  This can cause temporary spasms.  This will normalize as the nerve grows to accomodate the stretch and the swelling goes down.

Best Wishes,

Pablo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Forehead spasm after blepharoplasty and mini face lift.

+2

Thank you for asking about the forehead spasms after your blepharoplasties and mini-lift.

1. Your frontalis muscle over-reacted to touch.
  2. This is believed to be from temporary facial muscle imbalance after face lift or eye surgery. It is uncommon and temporary.
  3. Botox can stop the spasms until time takes care of it. Best wishes.
  •  

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Healing after surgery

+2

This will be temporary and will improve, small twitches and tingling sensations can occur during the healing process, especially during the first 2-6m. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Muscle spasm of forehead after mini face lift and 4 lid blephroplasty.

+2

Thank you for this question. Based on the information you provided I believe this is just a temporary irritation of the nerves to your forehead and is not uncommon. Swelling of the face and around the nerves can cause your symptoms. 

If this continues make a appointment with your surgeon and ask him/ her their advice.

Robert A. Hardesty MD, FACS
Riverside Plastic Surgeon

Forehead muscle spasms after surgery

+2

Muscle spasm after surgery is not uncommon and is not harmful.  More than likely this will subside over the next several months.  

Muscle spasm is quite common after surgery

+2

Thank you for the question.  Both the muscle and the nerves that control the muscles are sensitive to swelling as well as the electrolyte changes in your body which can occur with surgery.  Its not harmful or uncommon.  If it happens consistently or its troublesome to you your plastic surgeon can offer some solutions but until then I would not worry about it.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Forehead spasm

+2

This should only be a temporary nerve stimulation issue and should resolve quickly.  If not, make an appointment for an evaluation by your surgeon.

Malcolm D. Paul, M.D.

Malcolm D. Paul, MD

Frontalis spasm after mini facelift probably just coincidental.

+1

The nerve innervating the frontalis muscle is potentially in jeopardy with a facelift. Some inflammation in the vicinity of the nerve could trigger activity generating spasm. This should be self-limited.