Is It Common for Fat Transfer to Under Eye Hollows Not Not Take at All?

I had fat transfer to my under eyes 17 days ago & over the past few days it has become clear that it did not take at all. Im still bruised just below the hollows & I expect it will be another week or so before the bruising is completely gone, but the hollows have completely returned. At my preop appointment the hollows hadn't returned & I don't see her for another three weeks so she is unaware at this point. I had no idea it was a possibility that it wouldn't take. Is this common and why?

Fat transfer under the eyes

+2

good morning Alice

sometimes that can happen. Generally what I think is happened is either the patient is a very poor candidate for the procedure and the surgeon didn't recognize it or the physician was not comfortable with an aggressive or appropriate amount of fat transfer.  Specifically in the tear trough area and areas around the eyes surgeons are little bit shy about generous amounts of fat being applied because if it is overdone or lumpy it can be difficult to take care of. My patients generally look pretty bad that first week. I tried to put in as much fat as is anatomically possible and safe because I know from experience quite a bit of it goes away in the first 2 to 4 weeks and then is fairly stable after 2 to 3 months. Some patients were passed menopause are not great candidates As are patients with other chronic medical diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis or diabetes.

If this was a very short procedure where fat was extracted and quickly placed it may have simply been too little fat. It may also simply just been you and your body's ability to nurture the fat once it's been put in place. It is not that uncommon to perform second procedures to get complete results from fat transfer.

Chase Lay, MD

double board certified facial plastic surgeon

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafts aboth the orbits are very successful

+1

I am not sure why your grafts did not work.  You should see the surgeon now.  Fat usually takes 70% in this area but occasionally the take can be poor.  Possibly this can be done again.  My Best,   Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Lack of Under Eye Fat Grafting Results

+1

While fat grafting offers a natural solution that may have some permanency, its one downside is that the take of the fat injections is not an a sure thing. Variable take of fat grafts between patients is common even for the identical procedure.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD