I Have New Bumps/Ridges Above Juvederm Injection Site on Forehead, What Went Wrong?

10 days ago I went to my plactic surgeon for a minor facial "tweak" procedure and another round of Juvederm in nasal labial folds. I also had him inject the 111's, and now have vertical bumps/ridges ABOVE THE INJECTION SITE! Prior to that my forehead was cometely smooth when my face at rest. Now I have ridges above the injection site. I've had Juvederm injected here before (different Doc 1yr ago) & it worked like a dream in conjunction w/ Botex. What could have possibly gone wrong & what c JT

Forehead/Juvederm

+1

If it has been longer than a week and you are still feeling lumpy, than it is likely that too much product was used. Ak your provider about an enzyme that can dissolve this issue for you. 

Aurora Plastic Surgeon

+1

There are two possible sceanrios for the ridges caused by Juvederm injections into the Glabellar lines (11's).  

1. The juvederm was placed in either too large of a volume (most likely) or too superficially within the skin (less likely unless the ridges are white).  
  2. The other possible explanation is that the Juvederm is along side the artery/vein/nerve complex that travels within the Glabellar crease.  There have been reported instances of fillers, used in the Glableear creases, causing occlusion of the vein resulting in a full thickness skin slough about the size and diameter of a quarter in the mid forehead.  For that reason, I only use neurotoxins (Botox, Dysport or the new Xeomin) in the Glabellar area.  You could always do a quick internet search on forehead skin slough from glabellar fillers for more details.  

Juvederm sounds like it's too shallow

+1

It sounds like the Juvederm was injected too superficially, making it ridge, which is what often happens with Juvederm on the forehead, around the eyes, and under the eyes. You can have this countered with hyaluronidase injections.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Juvederm causing lines

+1

Photos would be most helpful but it sounds like the juvederm is too close to the surface. This can be corrected with hyaluronidase. Your doctor will be be able to do this and you should be fine.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Different results from Juvederm injections with a different injector

+1

Please remember, the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. However, even in the most experienced hands things don't always go as intended. Hyaluronidase is the perfect solution to reversing an unwanted result.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Using Hyaluronic Acid to Correct Skin Creases

+1

The correction of creases and well-defined lines requires that Juvederm (or another hyaluronic acid (HA) product) be placed superficially in the dermis. In many other instances and areas of the face these HA products are placed in the deep dermis or subdermal plane.

Creases do not expand upward easily and therefore can be somewhat difficult to correct.  To smooth creases you often have to try to push a bit more filler into this narrow superficial plane just below the crease in an attempt to force it upward. In this superficial plane there is a limited amount of space that will accept the product, and filling in excess may produce a slight ridge or bump.

Part of the way HA products work is by binding water. This causes swelling and increases volume at the site of placement. As a result, the swelling that occurs in superficially placed HA may be more visible. Such swelling will usually subside in a few days but could last two weeks.

Either way, if there is a bit of excess product, or just prolonged swelling, some gentle massage over the area may speed resolution. If this does not result in improvement, then hyaluronidase maybe injected to breakdown the excess HA.

Serial treatments may be helpful for correcting stubborn creases, which will often show more improvement with subsequent injections.

Best wishes. Kenneth Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Ridges

+1

It sounds like your Juvederm was placed too superficially or your injector used a bit too much.  Juvederm can be dissolved with Hyaluronidase.  This works extremely well and will not harm your normal skin.  Please return to your injector to be evaluated.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Bumps

+1

Pictures would be helpful. But from your description it sounds like the Juvederm is too superficial on the skin. You may want to consult with him, so he can take a look.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon