What Will My New Breast Size Be After Reduction?

I weigh 153 lbs and am 5'5. I wear a 34ddd. My insurance approved me for a reduction of 500 g per breast. My PS says that my breast tissue isn't very dense. What does that mean and what might my new size be post-op?

Determining final breast size after reduction

+2

Typically most insurance companies require a minimum of 500 gms per breast to be removed to trigger coverage. With the average cup ranging from 150-200 cc, it is probable that this will produce a 2-3 cup reduction in size. However, this is only an estimate.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/breast-reduction/

Breast reduction breast sizes after surgery

+2

Its difficult to say what your cup size will be with any accuracy- there are a couple of well-known papers that have looked at post-op cup size compared to the amount of tissue removed. Based on this table- you'll end up around a C cup after a 500 cc reduction starting from 34 DDD (34E)

Web reference: http://www.scottsattlermd.com

Breast Size After Breast Reduction?

+1

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.
Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Impossible to estimate bra size

+1

Hi there-

It would not be reasonable, responsible, or indeed possible to estimate what bra size you prefer after surgery.

Please realize (if you do not already) that a woman's choice of bra is indeed a preference- therefore, the only way to know what bra size you will prefer after your surgery is to wait until you are recovered from surgery and go shopping.

The better question is what you want to look like after surgery- you should discuss this carefully with your surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

The breast tissue not being very dense just means that you have more fat in your breast versus actual breast tissue.  This is typical for the majority of women undergoing breast reduction.  This plus removal of 500 g per removal really means nothing to your your final size.  500 grams is the minimal amount of breast tissue that has to be removed to have your insurance company cover the cost.  Your PS may elect to remove more to match your body frame.   

Dr. ES

Predicting Cup Size after Breast Reduction

+1

Regarding: "What Will My New Breast Size Be After Reduction?
I weigh 153 lbs and am 5'5. I wear a 34ddd. My insurance approved me for a reduction of 500 g per breast. My PS says that my breast tissue isn't very dense. What does that mean and what might my new size be post-op
?"

The Bra industry is the only industry I am aware of where each company's measurement differ s from its competitors'. Unlike the petroleum industry, where a BP gallon can be compared to an Exxon gallon, or the Home Remodeling industry where a gallon of Sherwin-Williams paint can be compared to a gallon of Dutch Boy paint, a C cup is NOT a C cup across the industry. In other words, the amount of volume, per cup, varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

As a result, we do not know the how many cc's make up each cup size and therefore cannot accurately predict the starting or the ending cup sizes.

In the vast majority of cases with breasts such as yours, the ESTIMATE MAY BE a full C RANGE bra cup size after surgery.

Dr. Peter Aldea

New breast size after breast reduction

+1

Just as the amount of breast tissue removed is an estimate before breast reduction, so is cup size. The hint of eventual cup size comes from the base diameter of the breast. If the breast is broad or wide a D-cup may fit after a 500 gram reduction. The 500 gram reduction is in the average range, and is only an estimate as well. The shape and aesthetics or circulation to the nipple may dictate a lessor reduction. Very firm or dense breast tissue may weigh more. We have found with insurance 'close' is good enough and we focus on aesthetics and individual goals. Discuss yours with your surgeon.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/breast-reduction

New Breast Size Be After Reduction

+1

You can ask for a large C cup if that is what you desire. 500 gms per side would leave you at a small D cup. The term less dense means more fatty tissue than breast tissue. Best of luck 

Breast reduction and insurance

+1

A few comments;

You should prioritize what your goals are. Is it to reduce the weight of the breast to reduce symptoms such as neck and back strain or is to produce a more attractive breast? Giving more or less weight to each issue may produce a different surgical procedure.

A breast that is not dense suggests that more tissue needs to be removed per weight. This might mean that in order to reach the 500 gm. threshold, more tissue might need to be removed making the breast smaller. This is good if your goal is significantly smaller breasts but not so good if you still want to remain proportionately large.

You can get into a dilemma of trying to satisfy insurance requirements and sacrificing your aesthetic goals.

The more appropriate question is actually the opposite of what you asked: what procedure does a surgeon have to do to give you the breast you want. The procedure is the path to your goals, it should determine where you want to end up.

Breast size After Breast Reduction

+1

There is no guarantee on final cup size after breast reduction surgery, as all bras fit differently. 500 grams should give you a dramatic result. Most average patients after this size breast reduction end up a full C or D cup. A necessary amount of tissue is retained to ensure proper healing and blood supply to the remaining skin and nipple complex.