Will decompressive surgery take all of the bulging away or just some? How will he know if my other eye is normal?

I am 24 years of age. I have serious self esteem issues now. I really just want to know if I will ever look normal again if I go through with this. I would like to think that one of my eyes have not been afftected by the graves eye disease, however, I was told that it may need minor work done. I wonder how he knows this if my eye is not bulging.

Bulging Eye and Grave's Disease

+2

If you do indeed have Grave's disease, I suggest that you be under the care of an Endocrinologist, have blood work performed to determine if you require medication. Grave's disease has other manifestations other than "bulging eyes". One can demonstrate lid retraction (upper and/or lower lids), eye muscle imbalance leading to double vision. One of the main goals of decompression surgery is to treat compression on the optic nerve. Compression of the optic nerve could result in loss of vision. Other reasons include corneal exposure resulting in damage to the cornea as well as cosmetic reasons. One eye can be more prominent than the other. Your doctor may be referring to lid procedures. You should discuss this further with him. Hope this helps.

Las Vegas Ophthalmologist