Nevus Mole Raised After Shaving.

Raised nevus mole shaved 1 1/2 weeks ago. Had no color as pigment removed via laser years ago. Area clearly shaved as I cannot see any resmaining mole, just RAISED red mark. Is this normal & will get better.

Red raised scars can be treated after mole removal

+1

While there have been published, scientifically sound studies demonstrating the ability to remove pigment with lasers and perhaps the moles themselves, I would strongly echo the other physicians who have responded by saying that it is not something you should do on a regular basis.  I know the physicians who have performed the research and they do not even offer this is a solution to their patients except in the extremely rare case of Giant Congenital Hairy Nevi.  Super rare condition.

Now for the red raised scar.  I am not going to post anything novel here, but I want to enforce the recommendations of Dr. Prather. He hit it right on when he suggested that steroid injections may work.  In the end, a tincture of time is sometimes the best treatment, but a little steroid injection is generally very safe.

Good luck and stay away from lasers for moles.

Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Lasers are not Appropriate for Removing Moles

+1

I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. Using a laser to improve the appearance of a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future. The majority of a mole can be removed very easily, and less expensively, using a shave biopsy technique. This typically results in a minimal scar, making the mole much less visible. It also has the added benefit of having tissue to send for microscopic examination, at least for reassurance purposes. 1 1/2 weeks is too soon to assess the final result of your procedure. Wait several months for the healing process to "settle down" before you decide if the scar will need further treatment.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Moles should NOT be treated with a pigment laser

+1

While lasers work great for removing many types of pigment from the skin, patients should be extremely careful with moles and lasers. As a general rule, the pigment in moles should not be lasered, as this has the potential to cover up or camouflage a worse lesion, such as melanoma or BCC.

The redness described here is likely due to early scarring, a normal result of a shave biopsy or removal. It will typically improve over the next few months, but may need to be treated with a steroid injection or pulsed dye laser.

Moles are special, and deserve special treatment! See a dermatologist for any concerning moles, not a laser provider. It could save your life.

Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.