I Am Neutropenic Due to Chemotherapy Treatments over 6 Years Ago, Is It Safe for Me to Have a Thighplasty and Tummy Tuck?

My white blood cell counts fall as low as 1.0 and my neutrophils as low as 22%. Could I use neupogen to increase my wbc's before and after surgery?

Tummy Tuck - I Am Neutropenic Due to Chemotherapy Treatments over 6 Years Ago, Is It Safe for Me to Have a Thighplasty and Tummy

+1

This does not sound like a good idea to me.

Even for medical conditions much less significant than this, I coordinate the overall care of the patient with any and all of his or her physicians.  That's the case even if we're talking about a much smaller procedure than this, and a much less significant medical issue than neutropenia.

I would suggest, if anything, a discussion between your plastic surgeon and your internist and/or oncologist, and see where it heads.  My sense is that surgery will not be advisable at this time, but that's something they'll have to discuss, and then present the conclusions to you.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Plastic Surgery Candidate?

+1

It is hard to know whether the procedures you described can be done safely given your history and leukopenia. I would request the help of your oncologist in determining the safety of the proposed procedures. If in doubt, it would be in your best interest to avoid any surgery that is not absolutely necessary.

You should be aware that (at least in my opinion) thighplasty  surgery does carry a higher risks  of infection and  wound healing problems than other procedures we commonly performed.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Tummy Tuck and decreased immunity

+1
Cosmetic surgery is elective surgery that patients should be in optimal health. Your neutropenia places you at serious risk for infection regardless if you are on neupogen Respectfully Dr. ES

+1

I would require a written clearance from your oncologist and do your operation in a hospital setting with these doctors available for care. Your risks of infection increase significantly so be aware. 

Answer to RealSelf.com question regarding surgery and low white blood cell count

+1

I would be quite concerned about significant neutropenia and abdominoplasty/thigh lift.  I am not sure why you are still so neutropenic 6 years after chemotherapy, as this usually corrects within weeks of treatment.  Your other blood counts would also be of concern.   I would suspect that you may also have low platelet and red blood cell counts.  I would strongly suggest that you discuss this in detail with your hematologist/oncologist before proceeding with any type of surgery.  Best wishes.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Neutropenia and tummy tucks

+1

You need to find out if you are at increased risk of fighting an infection and that you have adequate nutrition.

I recommend you check with your oncologist and see what he/she says regard this surgery and if you have increased risk of infection or healing problems.

Better safe than sorry.

If you ever question the safety of your plastic surgeons plan it is important to get an independant opinion .

Thx,

MW

Kennewick Plastic Surgeon