Is 0.5 mg hyaluronic (Restylane) to much? What are the normal proportions for a natural upper lip?

How much mg hyaluronic

+1
Depending on how your upper lip is naturally, its best providing a photo but the lower lip should be fuller then the top lip

Lip Augmentation

+1
When treating lips the natural shape of the lip plays an important role in the amount and placement of the filler.

The amount injected in the upper lip is usually determined by the size of the lower lip as there should be a 1 (upper lip) to 1.3 (lower lip) ratio for the lips.
That being said, I usually use 1 syringe when treating the lips and divide it between both lips as necessary.

It is important to receive treatment from a Board Certified Dermatologist with plenty of experience with lip augmentation.

For more information on Restylane view link below.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Natural looking lip injections

+1
Restylane is the ideal filler for the lips.  The amount that you are describing is a typical amount for the upper lip.  The amount injected depends on the natural shape and volume of your own lips.

Michele S. Green, MD

How much filler is right for the upper lip?

+1
0.5mL or 1/2 of a typical syringe is typically OK for the upper lip. This depends entirely upon how full the lower lip is and how thin the upper lip is. In most cases, for a thin upper lip, most filler would be added to the upper lip but a small amount would also be added to the lower lip to maintain balance. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

How much is too much

+1
It is all about proportion and shape. The lower lip should be bigger than the upper and the upper lip should not be just a single sausage shape from corner to corner, it should have what I refer to as pillows to allow the normal undulations of the lip to show.  Without seeing you I cannot say if 0.5cc is too much for you. I will say that when I am injecting uppers and lowers I very rarely use more than 1cc, but the majority of that would go into the lower, in order to avoid the Trout Mouth.

Julio Garcia, MD

How much Restylane do you put in the upper lip?

+1
First, I rarely suggest people only get filler into the upper lip. It is when this is done that people usually complain of a duck lip or trout pout. When putting in filler, it is important to follow the natural proportions of the lip, which usually means 2/3 of the product is placed in the bottom lip, and 1/3 is placed in the upper lip. These are general statements. I would say on average I use 1 syringe of Restylane for a good, natural fill. 0.5ml is a very small amount and really won't be much of a change at all. Some people like a fuller lip and require more. Remember a 1ml syringe of filler is really not that much solution. It's about a teaspoon sized amount of liquid. So, if you want a natural looking fill, I'd suggest following your natural proportions. You can start with a 0.5ml syringe if you'd like and add a second one if that's not enough. But I would really caution against only filling the top lip.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD