Best Implants for Exercising?

There are so many different complications recently,now i am going to have my surgery and im gettin nervous.Im torn between getting my silicon implants above or below the muscle.I work out two to three times a week with push ups, pull ups, sit ups.I know it takes time to heal but when im healed can i resume lifting my whole body weight??138lbs? Would it be better to get my implants above the muscle?Iv nursed 3children and went from a C to a B, i want to be a large D. I sag a lil, no lift recomended.

Best implant placement for athletic women: subfascial or split-muscle

+2

Your question is a very important one because of the different trade-offs. Under-muscle implants may produce a more natural look, particularly in women with low body fat. But they will be very prone to what are called "animation deformities" which are distortions of the breast shape with muscle flexion. This is related in my opinion to the method used for placement, which typically involves cutting the muscle attachment to the ribs in order to let the implant sit in the proper position.

The usual solution for this, going over the muscle, results in an unnatural look especially on the athletic figure. In some cases a modified version of over called subfascial can be helpful, but this adds support more than coverage. The split muscle technique, which gives coverage to the upper portion of the breast but avoids cutting the muscle attachment, is often the best of both. It minimizes animation deformities while adding coverage where it is most needed.

Breast implant placement in the subfascial plane for weight lifters

+1

Thank you for this very important question. For athletic women especially weightlifters, I prefer placing the implant in the subfascial plane which will minimize movement of the implants during weightlifting and realizes some of the benefits of breast implant placement under the muscle.

Natural looling breast implant

+1

Getting the implants above the muscle depends on several factors.

I offer patient's a simple analogy to illustrate what we mean:

Q: If you take a baseball and you cover it with a silksheet, what will it look like?

A: Like a baseball, you will even see the stitching.

Q: Now if you take that same baseball and cover it with a comforter what will you see?

A: It depends on how thick the comforter is but generally you will see a softly shaped lump.

So now the question is what do you have on your chest, silk sheets or comforters?

The way we determine this is by looking at your chest, if I can see your ribs (under the muscle) then you anatomy will have a hard time disguising the implant whether it is placed under or over the muscle and you are more likely better off with a silicone implant. Another way of measuring this is to pinch your upper chest skin (similar to pinch and inch of your waist on the Special K commercial). If you have less than an 2 cm (under 4/5 of an inch) than you have "silk sheets"

If you have a thicker skin/fat/breast layer that pinches over an inch than you have the option of going under or over.

Now the exception to the rule:

Q: What happens if you change the baseball to a volleyball?

A: All bets are off, whether you put it under or over the muscle it will not look natural.

The last issue is the implant shape. There are some anatomic shaped implants but I have generally found them to produce no significant difference in outcome with the exception of breast cancer reconstruction. However, this is my personal opinion.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Breast Implant Placement

+1

Hi there-

I have several professional athletes as patients, and their implants are under the pec muscle. Unless you are a competitive body builder, the advantages of this placement far outweigh the short lived increase in discomfort after surgery, and movement of the implants with muscular contraction is not a generally a problem as long as you don't workout nude.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Breast augmentation and exercising.

+1

In cases where a person lifts weights often and heavy weights I recommend placing the breast implant above the pectoralis muscle.This gives a more natural look . When the chest muscle flexes this can distort the implant and give the breast a funny shape. I would also use silicon gel implant  instead of saline if your breast tissue is thin for a better look.

Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Best Implants for Exercising

+1

You are asking so many differing question that without a posted photo I find giving accurate response very hard. My guess is a above muscle implant at least a 450 cc HP. More likely you will need close to 600 cc's - BUT no photo!. You than can exercise without muscular implant lateral distortion. 

Breast Implants in Athletic Person

+1

There are good reasons for placing Breast Implants in both positions. However, for someone like you, who works out and uses her arms vigorously, the only choice should be to place them above the muscle. This is a lesson learned from many failures. Your normal activities and arm use trump all other considerations. 

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

+1

I usually place them partially under the muscle.  This should not impact your working out in any significant way once you heal. 

ABOVE

+1

I hate to sound like a broken record but, your normal breast tissue is above the muscle. After children, your breast tissue goes away, thus you need it replaced - ABOVE the muscle. No one puts it totally under the muscle, it is only at most half to a third  under and when you contract your pecks, it deforms the implant.

Web reference: http://www.wrmd.com

Breast Implants in front of or behind the muscle?

+1

When deciding to place beast implants in front if or behind the pectoralis major muscle, there are pros and cons with either decision.

Behind the muscle gives a more natural look, with a tapered upper pole; however, there will be more motion of the implants when you are working out. For my patients who are body builders, and who pose, I place the implants in front of the muscle to keep the breast implant from moving with flexion.

In front of the muscle, the implant tend not to move with flexion. The recovery may be a few days shorter, or not. The implants will have a round appearance at the top, sometimes referred to as the "fake" look. The larger the implants, the more pronounced this appearance.

Either way, after you are healed you can work out. I have some patients with implants behind the muscle who do not like doing bench press after breast augmentation, because of the way the implants shift while contracting. This can be eased by using an incline bench. Others do not find the movement bothersome.

Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon