Nervous About Having Breast Augmentation, Am I Being Dramatic?

I'm 33 years old and I have always wanted breast augmentation. I have had about 4 consultations starting at age 18, but chickened out. Now, I am married and I have a two year old son. I would like to have one more child and I know people say to wait, but if I wait, it's going to be another 3 years. I feel like Ive waited long enough but I'm scared. What if I die during surgery?! I would be the worst most vain mother ever. Please someone tell me I'm being silly and dramatic...

Breast Augmentation Decision

+2

Breast Augmentation involves a very personal decision.  Although it is a surgical procedure and has some risk, the vast majority of patients do very well.  The risk of anesthesia is small and mortality risk is extremely small.  Find a board-certified plastic surgeon experienced in cosmetic breast surgery in your area who does surgery in a certified facility or hospital and you should do fine when you are ready.   

Surgery anxiety

+2
It is normal to apprehension and anxiety about elective surgery. Anesthesia is very safe. The likelihood of having a fatal event during breast augmentation surgery is very small. If you are planning on having a child in the next year or so, you should wait. If it is going to be a couple of years or more, then fulfill your dreams.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety about breast augmentation

+1

Yes, it is normal to be nervous before undergoing surgery. Breast augmentation is elective and can be performed when you are ready as long as you are a good candidate for the procedure.

Decide when you want to do it and trust the process.

It would be exceedingly rare to have death as the risk of the procedure.

Maximize your safety by going to a board-certified plastic surgeon and having the surgery at an accredited facility with a board-certified anesthesiologist.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Nervousness and elective breast augmentation

+1

It is very common for patients to have some mild reservations or nervousness when they have chosen to undergo elective cosmetic surgery. I encourage my patients to do thorough research on the procedure that they are contemplating and I spend a considerable amount of time educating each patient on the risks and benefits of surgery. Though breast augmentation, when performed by a qualified board certified plastic surgeon at an accredited surgical facility is very safe,  I feel it is important for you to resolve your anxiety about surgery and your reservations about anesthesia. It is imperative that you feel comfortable about this procedure on all aspects prior to embarking on this type of elective surgery.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety before surgery

+1

It is very common to be a bit anxious prior to surgery. I think it is normal to have that fear, but it should not overwhelm you. The desire for improvement usually supercedes the anxiety.  Good luck, that is why I prefer to perform breast augmentation in my fully-accredited office basd facility.  I think patients are more comfortable there.

Is breast augmentation right for you

+1

You really seem to both want breast enhancement surgery and are afraid of the concerns of appearing vain. I cannot count the number of themes my patients have mentioned as they rolled back to the operating room that there main concern was that they would wake up for their children. This is a normal concern and I am happy to report that they all woke up to continue to care for their children. This is not to say that surgery is not without risks but this speaks to the importance of choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon to care for you. If you chose to have surgery I encourage you to take all of your questions written down so that they can all be answered and you know who will care for you and how they will care for you. I hope this helps.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Breast augment angst

+1

First, anesthesia is very safe when performed in an accredited facility by a board certified anesthesiologist.  I would be more concerned about the effects of another pregnancy on the shape of the breasts----and on whether you really want the procedure.  It is wonderful for some patients but not for everyone.  If you think that you will worry afterwards  about complications (and we must be realistic and recognize that there can be complications from this operation, as you can read on this website), then don't do it.  This is purely elective surgery and you are absolutely entitled to elect not to do anything.  Don't feel pressured by peers or cosmetic surgery coordinators.  When the time is right, you will know it.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast implants are safe and they work.

+1

Hi.

I think you know the facts, but I would take your ambivalence very seriously.  I would not operate on you until you worked this out.  Your behavior is telling you something important.  Fears don't have to be rational to have a big impact.  And it doesn't have to be fear.  Maybe having larger breasts has more charged meaning for you than you realize.  Why not go for a psychotherapy consultation?

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Nervous about breast augmentation

+1

It is normal to be nervous about breast augmentation, but it is a very safe surgery assuming that you are in good health. The fact that you are young is another factor in your favor. The decision to undergo surgery needs to be managed within your personal timeline and there is no perfect time. If you are planning to have more children, but this is several years down the line then go for it. The risk of serious complications related to routine breast augmentation surgery is well below 1% and you are at more risk driving your car every day. Make sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon to further enhance your chance for success. There are a number of surgeons who perform breast augmentation without any formal training. So beware when choosing your doctor.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Breast augmentation anxiety

+1

Breast augmentation is always an elective procedure.  Elective procedures should only be done when the patient is 100% sure this is what she wants to do, and that the timing is right for her.  Any surgical procedure includes the possibility of complication.  If this possibility is too daunting for the patient, then either the procedure or timing isn't right.  It sounds to me that this procedure is one you want, but you may not be quite ready for it.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon