Nerve Pain After Abdominal Liposuction

I am a 39 year old male, my doctor tells me he removed 2.8 liters from my front and sides abdominal area. this is my day 5 and on certain movements I have terrible nerve pain on my upper thigh lap area that comes for seconds and goes away after I adjust the position of my leg. I am extremley worried. is this normal and when would it go away. Is it possible that my doctor messed up a nerve during surgery?

Pain after liposuction

+1

Pain is not uncommon after liposuction but pain in the thigh is not easily explained if the liposuction were done in the abdomen and flanks without working in the groin crease. See you doctor for an evaluation, but they will probably have to follow you for the next several weeks to see how the pain decreases.  It may be caused by swelling which does move by gravity to lower areas and this may be pressing on a sensory nerve.  Your doctor may wish to prescribe something to make the pain better so schedule a followup appointment.

Nerve issues after liposuction

+1

It is not uncommon to have numbness after liposuction, this is usually due to local swelling compressing the nerves.  It tends to resolve after the swelling has subsided.  However, if you have pain in the upper thigh which persists after several weeks, it may be that you have some nerve damage related to the surgery.  If it is the anterior and side of your thigh, it may be the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, which may also be injured by surgeries such as tummy tucks.  The best thing to do is to have close follow-up with your doctor so that he can intervene or refer you to another specialist if that is needed.

David S. Rosenberg, MD